Forums are back in action! ×

Trotting along, looking for company

Hi folks.  I'm new here, but not to healthy eating and such.  Since the first of last year, I managed to lose 35 lbs, though I've put a few of them back on since November.  I'm kind of trotting this by myself, though I do handle food preparation here at home (since I work from home), so my wife and oldest kid don't have a lot of a choice in coming along for the ride (my youngest isn't a year old yet, so...).

I'm going to declare myself a level 2 adventurer though, because on of my life goals had to be an automatic level up.  In November of 2011, I had my "Edmond Hillary" moment.  You see, I had been a political blogger for a couple of years, and had the chance to buy a local newspaper.  When I purchased it, I became the first blogger anywhere that I could find to buy a newspaper, so I'm claiming that as an automatic level ;)

I'm looking forward to chatting with folks here, sharing what I've learned, and learning a whole lot more.  For what it's worth, I'm blogging a lot of that kind of stuff too, though I'm not sure what the rules are about sharing blog links and whatnot.  I'd hate for my first post to run afoul of site rules.

Well, that's it for now. :)

Just glad to be here and hope to meet lots of new folks :)

Welcome to the rebellion.  People do post about their blogs, but if you're unsure you can always email Steve or go to the Rebel Army Base Camp board and ask there, I don't know the specific rules myself. We have found that we have to tread lightly here on the boards in regards to politics in order to keep and maintian the friendly tone of the boards. The guild levels are usually based mostly on fitness goals with a single life goal, the "level up your life" goals are more about crossing things off your bucket list, so if you do both you could have two different levels.  Good job on the healthy eating, what are some of your fitiness goals?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the welcome!

My big fitness goal right now is to be at about 155 lbs (Currently 213) and look like an MMA fighter in that weight class.  I also miss my six pack abs from high school, so they're one of my big ones as well.

As for the politics, that was just mentioning it in passing.  In my fitness type stuff, I rarely go into politics.  Frankly, I try to avoid it.  That's part of my daily life, but it's a part I need a break from.  Blogging and talking about my fitness goals is just that for me :)

Diet is about 80% of weightloss according to Steve. He also says the key is eat clean and lift heavy. You've mentioned you already are doing pretty well on the first part of that. What do you plan do to workout wise to get fit?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I've started working out at home with kettlebells.  It's still to early to tell how that will work out, but if that doesn't then I'm going to go bodyweight exercises for the time being.

As for what Steve says about diet, he's right.  If you just crunch the numbers, you can't work off enough calories to make up for bad nutrition, but you can lose fat in your sleep if your nutrition is straight.

Welcome from another noob!

Kettlebells can be very effective.  Entire body workouts can be accomplished with them.  Mix in some body weight exercises that use leverage to increase difficulty for anything you want to add extra focus too and you have a full workout plan.  From what I've been reading, a member named Waldo would be a great guy for you to talk to about the type of workout plan you're looking for.  He's an Assassin, and he seems to be pretty willing to share his knowledge, but the Assassin's forum in general should be able to help you with some tips.

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

Welcome to the rebellion

I encourage you to check out the 6-week challenge component of the site

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/challenges/6-week-challenge-rules-r15

Current challenge is half-over, but you could still join in -- or, take the next 3 weeks to leisurely figure out how it all works with the goals, and the nerdier components like choosing a race, earning levels, and stuff.

Even when I bomb out on a goal (often), I usually still am doing more than I would have without the accountability provided by the challenge.

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

Archived