Forums are back in action! ×

Barcelona

GraceM

Sagrada Familia is the big "must" -- it is probably worth paying to go do the tour inside. 

Careful on Las Ramblas, read up on Barcelona pick pockets and how to avoid getting scammed (this is a huge problem there).

Don't be too afraid to wander in to El Raval -- one of my favorite bars, Bar Marsella is there (you'll learn how to drink real absinthe, no hallucinogenic crap).

Shopping on Paseo de Gracia, walk through Park Guell on the north side of the city, try churros and chocolate, and if you can, watch futbol with the locals (don't go to a mainstreet corner bar). It's amazing.

Learn a little bit about the single most important cultural aspect in Barcelona, their Catalan identity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independence

As long as you aren't living super downtown (a few blocks off of Las Ramblas), you'll be fine! Just make sure you are near a metro stop!

I'm super jealous, have fun!

I spent a week in Barcelona last June - we rented a unit at Suites Avenue, which is a little pricey, but worth it because it includes a full kitchen and laundry - and it's right on Paseo de Gracia, directly across the street from La Pedrera. Also very close to transit, although realistically we only took the metro when we were feeling lazy - almost everything was within 3km of everything else (although Parc Guell is a bit further out).

Adding to Tulkas' recommendations, I'd add wandering along the beach (and getting some sun, if you're into that) and heading up Montjuic (great views, with a nice historical site at the top). I enjoyed MNAC (Museu Nacional d'art de Catalunya), but if you're not a fan of renaissance painting you could probably skip that (but still visit the site - again a great view). If you're even halfway interested in football/soccer, take the stadium tour - it's really entertaining.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

It's very tourist-friendly in general and in the historical zones most of the restaurants had English, French, German and sometimes Japanese and Russian menus - same with the information packages at the sites.   It's a very touristy city - when I was there I heard nearly as much English/French/Dutch/German as Catalan/Spanish!  You shouldn't have any trouble getting by in English (or French - written Catalan is actually more like French than Spanish, and most signage is Catalan/Spanish bilingual).

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Archived