Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Colorado!

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank Steve for this great website: it is full of useful info that is relevant for anyone trying to improve themselves, both physically and mentally.

I'm a 21 y/o male. I'm a senior at the University of Colorado and will be graduating in May. I had a health scare last year, where I thought I had Chron's (for a number of reasons). Due to this, I lost a lot of weight (a lot of muscle weight too I assume). I dropped from 155 to 130ish over a course of three months. Now, I'm healthy again and I'm looking to regain the muscle that I lost and gain new muscle that I never had! I'm 5'11" and weigh 145lbs. I'm looking to increase that to 155lbs by the time I graduate. I also would like to play hockey again. A game I loved during high school but haven't played in college. I joined an intramural team and found that I was winded and sore after the first shift. I'm looking to change that. I'm very involved in my school and career but I'm making time for self improvement. As such, I've been waking up an hour earlier three times a week to work out before I start my day. I started out with the beginner body weight circuit three weeks ago. Starting today, I'm alternating between doing [squats, bench press, inverted rows, and dips] and [deadlifts, overhead press, inverted rows, planks].

I'm excited about feeling better and I'm going to make the most of having good health! I look forward to becoming a part of the community. Good luck, everyone!

Hey, welcome! Glad to have you! I'm so glad to hear your health scare was just a scare! My mum has chrones and it's aweful. Thumbs up on your strength training. Are you changing any part of your diet?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I make my own meals. However, I live with my girlfriend and we usually trade off on the cooking duties. But, lately, I've decreased the amount of sweets and carbs... (no pasta but rice from time to time)... I'm going to increase the amount of protein intake as per Steve's instructions... To help me do this, I've also bought some whey protein. I've read Steve's article on the subject but I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to drink the protein shake on days that I don't work out. Currently, I am not. But, yep... that's it for the diet. I'll probably make more changes towards to the end of the month and try to increase my intake as well. I'm currently swamped in work, which should die down by the beginning of April.