Forums are back in action! ×

Needs gains with Paleo.

seed

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading lots of articles from nerd fitness and decided to sign up since i have a bunch of questions that i hoped Steve would be able to answer but ill settle for the next best thing.

Before i ask my questions ill give everyone some of my details, I'm 23 82kgs and 5"10. My Goals are to burn fat and put on muscle (everyones goal I'm guessing) Ive been training past couple months but just this week after reading so much about pale and strength training I've decided to give it a go!

My workout which is from nerd fitness is :

Monday: Squats, benchpress, wide grip pull ups, planks
Wednesday: deadliest, overhead press, inverted rows, hanging knee raises.
Friday: weighted lunges, weighted dips, weighted chin ups, reverse crunches 

Tues - thursday ill do the konami code workout.
I also do kick boxing on thursday and a light weight interval circuit Monday or Tuesday.

I wanna put on muscle so I'm not sure if i should cut the cardio down a bit? I don't want to lose too much fitness in what I'm used to do. 

Im on pretty much full paleo with no grains, carbs, pasta, processed, sugars etc... I do use coconut oil for my cooking and I've been having a lot of red meat lately (not sure if thats a good idea) 

Am i on the right track?

Paleo. Strength training. SL 5x5.

Serious Gamer. Poker Addict. Beer Lover.

battle log

Seed's Mirin' Brah 6 week Challenge.

Paleo is not a no-carb or, necessarily, even a low-carb diet. Keep an eye on your energy levels, you may want to add some sweet potatoes or berries in your weekly eating.

You'll be on the right track if you consistently make progress, so you'll know it's working if you're getting stronger and/or leaner.

I replied to your question on another thread, but you provide some more helpful information here, so I'll help as much as I can.

First off, since you're a beginner to strength training/paleo diet, I'd recommend trying to focus on either cutting fat or building muscle. What's your top priority?

If it's building muscle, then I'd follow Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738 - it's geared towards beginners and is the number one resource for those interested in building strength. The basic gist of starting strength is to workout three times per week - MWF - and do 5 or 6 basic exercises amongst those days. Recovery wise, Rippetoe recommends eating a TON of calories - about a 1000 more than maintenance.

If it's cutting fat, then stick to HIIT - mostly bodyweight workouts and high-intensity sprints.

Interested in traveling, personal wellness, and learning - currently blogging at travelnwellness.com

My current goal is to lose fat. 

Ive been using strength building workout from nerd fitness but i am now going to incorporate strong lifts 5x5 into my MWF workouts. All heavy lifts to build muscle. I eat a lot daily my goal is about 3k calories but i think i might not be hitting that. Im going to measure again in a week or two to see whats changing if i keep getting smaller I'm going to hit the calories harder and the weights a bit heavier.

Paleo. Strength training. SL 5x5.

Serious Gamer. Poker Addict. Beer Lover.

battle log

Seed's Mirin' Brah 6 week Challenge.

I mean I'm not trying to lose a lot of fat. Im currently at 19% body fat and don't mind burning slow while i build muscle. My Goal is 15%. Strength lifting for more dense muscle.

Trying to both build muscle and lose fat at the same time is a recipe for wheel spinning as a beginner.

You can pretty much assume for all practical purposes that muscle building requires a calorie surplus will will come with fat gain baggage.

You will gain muscle cleaner if you first cut down to 10-12% or so.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Archived