Forums are back in action! ×

If I'm going to be a companion, there's an awful lot of running to do!

Hi,

I'm Sundae. I'm 29, Scottish and married to my lovely, geeky boy. I'm officially only 1.8kg (5lb) overweight (having lost 9+kg since last summer) but over-fat and far from my ideal weight (about 60-63kg at present). I started a progressive lifting programme in January and the Zombies Run 5k training programme in February, but managed to give myself calf strain in both calves in the past fortnight (I'm currently on crutches).

I have a long term battle with chronic fatigue syndrome, but lifting seems to help so I've started building a weights gym in my spare room (I have a bench, a squat rack, a standard bar and an ever-increasing stack of cast-iron weights).

Anyway, I'm a somewhat obsessive Whovian (starting from the age of 3 and the last few episodes of the seventh Doctor) and Buffyphile, but my list of other scifi and fantasy loves would take too long to write (and I always forget a few when I write them down).

I'm also really keen on the idea of starting some superhero cosplay and have promised myself a Wonder Woman outfit as a reward for either reaching my goal weight or reaching a lifting goal. Votes and suggestions on which would be appreciated! 

So anyway, after being handed a pair of crutches yesterday I spent the evening researching what I can do until they heal and instead of spending weeks on the couch off exercise (which would have been my default action if that had happened last year) I'm off on my crutches to the pool to do some arms-only swimming with a "pool buoy".

So anyway, that's a little introduction to me (with loads of omissions) but hopefully soon I'll be smaller on the outside!

SSxx

Working out without the use of my legs is so frustrating but I'm starting to find things that I can do. I honestly didn't realise how much I focus on my legs when I'm working out. 

Yeah, so today after just swimming and walking using my crutches, my arms are burning. Goodness only knows what they'll be like after a weights session this afternoon!

Welcome to NF, I'm new too! And don't ONLY focus on your legs, or you'll end up disproportional. That may not be a problem to you, but it could end up happening. I've learned, from my experience at least, that if you're mainly focusing on your legs, it's good to also put in a little core training in too, and it will open up even more possibilities for leg training besides running and will improve upper body strength. Crunches are a good, easy way to train your core that I know of, and you can do them progressively while still seeing a difference, which is a plus. But, either way, keep up the work, and it's good to hear you're training even through having to use crutches.

Also, could you give me a few specific examples of your sci-fi loves? There are too many to guess from. xD Anyways, welcome!

• Half-Orc Adventurer (Level 1)
  • Battle Log
  • (STR) - 2
  • (DEX) - 2
  • (STA) - 4
  • (CON) - 1
  • (WIS) - 5
  • (CHA) - 1
  • "If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Welcome to NF, I'm new too! And don't ONLY focus on your legs, or you'll end up disproportional. That may not be a problem to you, but it could end up happening. I've learned, from my experience at least, that if you're mainly focusing on your legs, it's good to also put in a little core training in too, and it will open up even more possibilities for leg training besides running and will improve upper body strength. Crunches are a good, easy way to train your core that I know of, and you can do them progressively while still seeing a difference, which is a plus. But, either way, keep up the work, and it's good to hear you're training even through having to use crutches.

Also, could you give me a few specific examples of your sci-fi loves? There are too many to guess from. xD Anyways, welcome!

It wasn't so much that I was actively focusing on my legs, but not realise how much of my activity was reliant on my calf muscles being usable. I have been doing a decent full body strength programme, but it was only when my legs were suddenly out of action that I realised that I couldn't do any of the cardio without them (as well as writing off squats until I can stand without the crutches).

Once I'm off the crutches, and have a few heavier weight plates, I'm starting SL 5x5 but at the moment I'm doing a 3x12 programme with most of the same exercises.

Sci-fi TV series:

• Doctor Who
  • Star Trek (TNG, TOS, Voy, DS9, Ent... in that order)
  • Stargate (SG1 and Atlantis, I hated Universe despite "Begbie in Space")
  • Fringe
  • Warehouse 13
  • Torchwood

Fantasy TV series:

• Buffy
  • Angel
  • Game of Thrones
  • Being Human (UK version only)
  • Merlin (although I lost track after the first couple of series)

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting! 

Ah, okay, I understand. And TNG, now that's where it is. I've been trying to get into Fringe, but, I just can't keep my focus on it for too long before I get distracted. And, well, I don't really follow Fantasy Series as much as Sci-Fi.

• Half-Orc Adventurer (Level 1)
  • Battle Log
  • (STR) - 2
  • (DEX) - 2
  • (STA) - 4
  • (CON) - 1
  • (WIS) - 5
  • (CHA) - 1
  • "If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill