Forums are back in action! ×

For the Rebellion! But politely

We Canadians have a reputation to uphold, after all.   :smile-new:

I've been lurking around and reading for the past two weeks.  My wife found the site in the first place and Steve's blogs and the embarrassment of support around the forum convinced me that it was time to join the Rebellion.

My wife and I have started eating what she calls "paleo-inspired" with a dash of gluten-free.  I'm gluten intolerant, so that's an easy reason to keep it up.  I'm not 100% sold on going paleo yet, but I am very much behind the idea of not eating processed foods.  We cook all of our meals from scratch, from as natural ingredients as we can get.  But we both still love our starches (mmm... potato...).  Motivation has really been the killer for me, as I'm sure many can relate.  I do have a streak of laziness, and it has held me back.

Current stats:

Height:  6'10"

Weight:  270 lbs

Waist:  38

I used to have a 42 inch waist until I got seriously back into my martial arts training.  Just doing that got me where I am, but I have plateaued for a few months now.

Goals:

I don't weigh myself regularly at all, so my fitness goals aren't closely related to what that scale says.  I thought I was 260 until I stepped on a scale two weeks ago.  I want to be stronger, so that's where I'm looking to.

Do 50 push-ups in a single set by Dec 31, 2013

My grand master challenged me to do 20 push-ups before my black belt grading last December.  I had a hard deadline of Dec 1.  My previous best before he slammed me with this goal (two months before my grading) was 10.  I really didn't think I would make it, but I'm wearing my black belt now with pride.  Push-ups are a super intimidating exercise for me due to the length of my body.  It's time for me to beat this one down.

Do a freaking pull-up by June 1, 2013

I am a classic ectomorph.  I have always had a hard time building muscle.  I hadn't been able to do my first real push-up until I was in my late 20s.  Even at the weight I am, people are shocked when they find out my waist size and body weight.  I have filled out a lot since high school (6'4" and 125 lbs in grade 9, not exaggerating here), but the pull-up has defeated me this entire time.  Steve was the first person who laid out a set of exercises that could build the muscle required to do a freaking pull-up.  So I'm going to do it.

Trim that waistline!  Go down to a 36 waist by Dec 31, 2013

I have gained weight since the last time I weighed myself, but lost inches on my waistline.  I genuinely have no idea how long it will take to deal with the spare tire I've been carrying around since college, but I'm confident that the strength training I'll be doing and the adjustments I am making to my diet will make a difference.  I might even be way off base with this and be done by the summer. I just don't know.

I plan on incorporating the steps I want to take into the six week challenges.  New challenge starts in April, and I am looking forward to it.  I would love to be the guy in my club that people look to for an example of great strength.  Or be able to wear a tight shirt in public and feel like I deserve it.  That'd be good, too.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Hello there Tall Geek. Are you doing any sort of strength training? I would recommend you start doing some weights, like doing the starting strength or stronglifts programs.

With the type of diet you're already on, I think you would make good progress by adding strength training.

Good luck with your goals. Welcome!

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I've been doing what I thought was reasonable strength training.  My gym has a lot of machines and I've been cycling through all of them.  And not making a whole lot of progress.  Sure, I put more plates on the machines, but it didn't really affect my "real" strength.  Still can't do pull-ups and I can't do any more push-ups.  Doing more reading, especially a lot of the resources here, it seems like I've been living with all the newbie mistakes.  So, some more research to set up my routine with free weights and body weight exercises and then start working on those goals.  

Thanks!  I'll probably hit the strength program board to get some feedback on my routine when I get it figured out.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Excellent idea. Think free weights for everything you do. Machines suck! lol! Sorry.

Good luck - I look forward to reading about your progress. :)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Archived