Forums are back in action! ×

New Irish Nerd

Hello fellow fit nerds!!

My name is Oisín, pronounced Usheen (A nice rare Irish name), and I'm moving to Vancouver soon like the rest of my compatriots these days!

I've been reading the website for a few months now and I decided to jump in here to say hi!

I love the gym, football (Soccer to my North American/Canadian friends), squash, running, hiking, cycling and rugby! Rugby is fantastic, it's like wrestling mixed with American Football, but with no padding, no helmets, less stoppages in the game, the ball is still active when it touches the ground...ok, it's not that similar, but the ball is the same shape. Anyway, Rugby is just better in every imaginable way.

I'm moving to Vancouver as I've said and I'm hoping to get involved in rugby there, if it's played there, and find a good gym with a good free weights and power lifting areas. After reading this site in particular I started pushing myself harder for squats and dead lifts and have made some big gains! Staci is an inspiration, when I saw what she lifts, I felt the competitive twinge kick in and I upped my game!

The nerdy side...I love comics - mostly DC but I love some Marvel stuff, Dark Horse, Image and a few others, nerdy tattoos, Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, most sci-fi to be honest. I'm a graphic designer but once I reach Vancouver I'm actually open to doing anything, kiiinnnda having an early life crisis!!

So there we are, hello guys and gals!

Go BIG, or go home.

I only took it up at 26...and then broke my leg 6 weeks into it, but I rehabbed by training for a marathon and have played the full season relatively injury free.

I think on the inside I'm an armoured vehicle and the outside is slowly getting there. The important part is to tackle hard, and to tackle low. haha! Thanks for the welcome, mo chara!!

Go BIG, or go home.

Rugby: The second most awesome sport in the world.  The first is Aussie-Rules Footy.  Like Rugby but with even more violence and even few rules!

Welcome to Canada (soon)! I'm on the other side of the country, but I'll wave anyway!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Loving the rugby love that's going on here!

Canada and America had teams in the last rugby world cup so I'm really hoping to find a team when I reach Vancouver!

Aussie Rules is pretty good SandyLion, I was a fan of it when I lived in Perth although the Eagles weren't having a great season...neither were the Western Force for that matter

Go BIG, or go home.

I was situated in Melbourne myself and was rather pressured into supporting the Geelong Cats (Read: Support this team or get back on that plan!).  Crazy game, and those crazy folks take it very seriously!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

I've since lost all interest in following Aussie sports actively, seeing as they're 12 hours behind us but every now and then one of the Irish tv channels picks up an Aussie Rules magazine show seeing as so many Irish are in Oz these days. But I keep up with the southern hemisphere international rugby teams, always good to know what to expect in the World Cup and the autumn internationals

I forgot to mention in my intro that I don't drink either. That's right, a straight edge* Irishman

*There's caffeine in tea but Irish people need tea to live. We die without it, trust me on that one.

Go BIG, or go home.

Archived