Forums are back in action! ×

Restarting...

Hi there,

I've been chubby for most of my life. The last 10  years though, I've been going up and down in weight, but even down was still too fat. I'm 176cm, and the last 10 years I've been going back and forth between 90kg and 115kg.  Whenever I hit 110+, I do realize something must be done, and I get down to 90-95kg, but I never seem to get to convince myself to continue after that. After staying at that weight for some time, it starts going up again.

Weight/appearance

Last time I was at the 110+ mark, was last summer. In the months before, I had gained quite a lot of weight. This was the first time that I weighed this much since I had started dancing, and in summer I had two seperate weeks where I went to a festival to dance, and my ankles were hurting afterwards. That was my alarm bell that I needed to lose weight, as I really do not want to give up dancing. So I started losing weight. I started eating healthier, hearing Steve Gibson talk about a low-carb diet, i followed that, and I started going to the gym. At the gym I am doing cardio exercises. I went down to about 95kg, and then my resolve started failing again. This was around new year, so that might have had something to do with it. I have been relatively steady since then. 

Now, I want to continue losing weight. I don't really now what to set as a target. Up until now, I've said 80kg was my target, but I believe that might not be what I really want (just not the right kpi). Looking good in a swimsuit would be a great goal, but difficult to quantify of course. If I look at the Wikipedia entry for body fat percentage, I think I would like to be in the zone between Average and Fitness, so somewhere in the 15%-20% range. 

Personal

I've had my ups and downs through the years, but currently I can say I am generally happy. As I mentioned I like to dance. The dancing I do is what we call balfolk, and is based on traditional European dances, but with a modern sauce over it. I do this for a little over 3 years now, and I do it a lot. You can go and see me dance on YouTube. It has given me a nice social circle to hang out with. Most of my friends currently dance. I'm almost always out doing things, not at home a lot. 

In my love life, it's a typical situation where you would put it on Facebook as "It's complicated". I'm currently involved with a girl who is not sure she wants a serious relationship, while I do. This is something that will probably resolve itself in the coming weeks.

Work

I work in IT, with Cisco Unified Communications products. I'm quite happy with my work, but should study more to get a better certification level. 

Life goals:

- Look good (to be quantified exactly)

- Get CCNP certificate by the end of the year

- Get CCIE certificate before I turn 30 (May 2015)

I hope I can get myself on track to achieve these goals.

Cheers,

Tom

Archived