Forums are back in action! ×

New Fitness equivalent for money management?

SuperToga

Hey, gang! I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that is as cool as Nerd Fitness but focused on money and finances? I've read stupid bazillions of books and asked all of my friends for their tips and tricks, but I was hoping for something as regularly motivating as Nerd Fitness for this elusive life skill..

Any sites out there?

Level 4 Human Ranger

Str: 8 Dex: 2  Con: 4.5  Int: 9.5 Wis: 8.5 Cha:  2  Sta: 5

Hey, gang! I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that is as cool as Nerd Fitness but focused on money and finances? I've read stupid bazillions of books and asked all of my friends for their tips and tricks, but I was hoping for something as regularly motivating as Nerd Fitness for this elusive life skill..

Any sites out there?

http://manvsdebt.com/  I believe I found this website on Nerd Fitness somewhere.

I do love that feeling! I work as a contractor currently, so I pull out all of my own taxes. I know I'll have to part with it eventually, but in the meantime, I have this huge balance in savings getting interest. It's pretty awesome. I'm finally down to hundreds of dollars of credit card debt instead of thousands, too! Then its just about smiting student loans. I've never been so close at succeeding at money!

I've mostly received tips on how to cut costs of living. Everything little bit helps, but I keep it pretty minimal around here already. 

I'm hoping for tips on ways to organize my cash flow more effectively to quickly get necessary things paid, and make it harder for myself to splurge on unnecessary things. Inspiring articles every once and a while to stay focused are mostly what I need :P I'd also like to learn more about savings options. My savings account USED to have 2% interest, and now it only has .6%. Which is still okay, but I want to learn how to use that sort of thing more effectively. 

I'm sure there are things I don't even KNOW about money and finances. I'm ready to learn anything.

What I'll do next is look at all of my bank records for the past year and figure out what I spend things on and tweak my budget to be more accurate. A tip I got from my bank, just today.

Thanks for the website! I'll poke around it today. :D 

Level 4 Human Ranger

Str: 8 Dex: 2  Con: 4.5  Int: 9.5 Wis: 8.5 Cha:  2  Sta: 5

Getrichslowly.org and manvsdebt.com as mentioned above are both great resources! I read them both (via facebook) to keep my motivation. 

Another thing that has really helped me was taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. The class was great, I learned so much that I was unaware I didn't know! It motivated me to kick it into high-gear and start to eliminate all my debt, but after the class was over and I no longer had the encouragement of my peers my enthusiasm faded. Then I started going back to the classes on the "graduation" day of each class as a panel member and I would share my experiences with other people in situations like mine. Talking with these people about struggles that I'm having or their having and getting that feeling of camaraderie has been extremely helpful in keeping me on track.

This fall I'm going to try teaching for a change. I'm doing a class similar to FPU, but for teenagers and I think that will help me too. I want to help them learn what I've learned, but before they've made the mistakes I did.

Best of luck on your goals!

Archived