Forums are back in action! ×

Dropping in to say hi

I'm a proud geek girl who actually loves exercise but haven't been doing any for various BS reasons. I have LOTS of weight to lose and I hope I can find the support here to do it. 

I just saw the Walking to Mordor challenge people did last year and I'm so on board! I have to dust off my pedometer, and I just downloaded RunKeeper to help me track mileage. I have 4 Siberian huskies who love to be walked, so they are coming with me on my journey. I love the thought of having a geeky goal to brag about when I finally reach it. I have to walk the dogs anyway so why not, right?

I've had luck with low carb before and I'm planning to try Paleo - really worried about being strong enough to cut the calories from drinks and giving up pizza  :rapture:

I'm 40, from California, and on the geek side, I am an xbox gamer (Skyrim/Oblivion obsessed). I am a computer programmer and a photographer (someday hope to make a full time living at it). My daughters and I are Dr Who fanatics, I'd seriously paint my fridge to look like a Tardis if my husband wasn't horrified by the idea. All of my dogs have Star Wars names, and I can't wait to take my girls to Comic-Con when they are older.  

Kessihl - Level 2 Half Elf / Human1 (STR)  2 (DEX)  2 (STA)  3 (CON)  6 (WIS) 3 (CHA)  Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. 

What is Walking to Mordor and where do I find more info about this??  You don't have to give up pizza!  Just make it at home and put a ton of veggies on it and lots of tomato sauce (home made)!!!  

I  have been thinking of getting some kind of gaming console...I had a PS2 and I currently have a Wii but meh...boring....  Do you like your xbox?  Do you have an opinion on the PS3?

What are your dogs names??  I am just watching the entire series of Star Wars right now...I only ever say the first one so I have decided to watch all the other ones so I can get in on the Star Wars conversations out there. 

I have a dog, Chopper, he is black lab, husky mutt mix.

Welcome it's great to have you  here!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

My dogs are named Jax, Wookie, Kessel, and Ahsoka.

Jax is a name from one of the SW books, Kessel is a planet, in case you can't place it...the Kessel Run - that Han did in his Millennium Falcon.

Ahsoka is Anakin's padawan from the Clone Wars. I like the name even if I can't stand the cartoon....

Elder, I love our xbox and especially think the Kinect has lots of potential for people wanting to be fit. There are lots of fun games to make you feel ridiculous while sweating. A new version of the xbox will be coming out soon-ish I read recently. So you might be able to get a 360 used for a good price. My family plays xbox live games with each other to stay in touch long distance, and I've always liked the variety of games available. 

Oh, and the walking to Mordor challenge is found here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

That will get you started. I downloaded the spreadsheet and I'm logging my miles. I am going to create rewards for myself whenever I get to one of the major stops along the way. 

Kessihl - Level 2 Half Elf / Human1 (STR)  2 (DEX)  2 (STA)  3 (CON)  6 (WIS) 3 (CHA)  Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. 

Archived