Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Everyone!

My name is Corey and I am 22.

I have always "struggled" with weight but remained somewhat active a good portion of my early years with things such as paintball, golf, tennis, etc.  I was never afraid to try something because it would be too hard or difficult.

Well that changed my sophmore year in High School. I never ran extended distances (never really could run anyways) but despite this I joined the Nordic Ski team.  The first day's warm up was a 3 mile run. Despite never running I made it through the training while we waited for the snow. Once the snow came it was obvious that I wasn't going to take to skiing as quickly as I would like.  But I stuck with it (and fell hundreds of times).  I even finished a race once! It was one of the best feelings in my life having my friends and team mates cheer me on as I crossed the finish line. Practices continued, and I was starting to get better.  The team always took footage and they encouraged me to go down a small hill for the film.  It didnt end well.  I fell and the ski twisted my leg and tore my ACL and miniscus. along with some minor tearing to my MCL. 

I gained quite a bit of weight during my down time, but the next year I lost most of it and dropped to around 220 thanks to one of my coaches urging me to get back to the gym.  However for several reasons I stopped going.  This continued as I went to college. I recieved a bachelors degree in Computer Science, and not once in the 4 years did I go to the gym.  I got a job and was miserable.  I hated my chosen field, and I was now sitting at a weight of 290 pounds.

It was a year ago that I decided to change everything about myself.  I am currently going back to school for a degree in Illustration.  And my current total weight loss is just over 100 pounds, and I am around 190 pounds (the lowest in a very long time).

My hopes for this site is to find more people to meet and talk to.  As well as find some support. My three closest friends are extremely fit (2 lift religiously while 1 runs marathons) so I can always ask them for help and inspiration, but as nice and supportive as they; and my family are, I don't think they really get what its like since they have never been in my situation.

I found this site thanks the the "How to do a Pull Up" article, and I hope that it will help me continue down my path.  In fact my next goal is to be able to do a pull up. I was happy to find that my current work out fits pretty well with the ideas on this site.  I go to planet fitness and the trainer set me up with a routine that uses primarily dumbbells.

I hope to learn alot here.

-Corey

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Thanks i just went down and tried the negatives.  Tough stuff!  Ill try to mix it in with my routine thanks.  The trainer at my gym has me doing inverted rows too.

I also figured I should post something about my diet.

Im as close to paleo as Im ever going to get. When I first started losing weight I watched a documentary called Fat Head where a guy loses weight eating McDonalds.  He used the fundamentals of the Atkins diet to do so.  Of course he suggests not eating McDonalds that much, but it really got me thinking about what I should eat. 

I eat very little bread like carbs a day (pastas etc).  If I have them I try to limit them to 1 meal and usually lunch.  Then I eat meats and vegetables. I cut out soda completely and drink only Unsweetened Iced Tea and water.  And eat very little treats that are full of sugar (once in a blue moon since the sugar doesn't agree with me anymore).

However from the get go I knew that this "diet" I made for myself would reflect how I wanted to eat for the rest of my life.  I didn't say "no Pizza or pasta" because I love that stuff.  Instead I limit myself so that these foods are something I eat every so often and it makes them taste even better.

I am having difficulty lately cooking fresh meats from home.  But when I do have to stop at fast food like places I generally get some type of grilled chicken with hot sauce (I love hot sauces, have over 30 of them in my pantry).

I also watched this documentary about a guy who juiced for 60 days.  While theres no way I could ever do it full time.  I often will have a supper thats mainly juiced vegetables with some apples and a 1/2 a lemon mixed in for flavor; because to be honest other than salad, celery, and carrots I dont eat too many different vegetables.  And nowhere near enough.

I have also started drinking the muscle milk protein drinks after I work out.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Gonna try cooking up the meals for the weak and throw them in the fridge.  I need to figure out some solutions for Monday and Wednesday since im gone for over 12 hours.

Have you considered brown bagging it? I work at a pizza place half the time, and the food is terrible for you. But there are actually a lot of healthy people who work there including myself and we all bring our own lunches (or figure out some weird but healthy alternatives).

Feels a little silly the first few times you do it but it really helps.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I definitely have to try it. I want to pack something for dinner then juice up a bunch of vegetables as a drink for lunch (no way I can carry around that many vegetables). I just have to get into a better routine preparing for the next day.  Its tough when I wake up at 6 and dont get home till 10 on mondays and wednesdays, i just dont feel like doing anything but sleeping. I have to do something to change that.  I do have a few hours of break, maybe some light exercise will help break up the day... I don't know.

I've had many a day like that, they always suck. Maybe Monday and Wednesday can be your "light days". Just doing something small in the morning or afternoon to keep you focused but only if you're not tired. I never workout when tired my form gets sloppy and I'm not focused, two things that lead to me hurting myself in the past.

As for preparing, why not on Sunday try and get all the prep done for what is needed? That way your means are all set and ready to go and there's no stress?

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Archived