Forums are back in action! ×

I made ADoM run on incompatible Windows 7

To my eternal dismay, and in spite of efforts to learn, I am not very skilled with computers. I wanted to install Ancient Domains of Mystery (look it up, it's badass) on my new laptop, but the latest system it's designed for is Windows XP. I tried installing "Windows XP mode" and it refused to run (apparently I need a more expensive version of Windows 7 -- gimme a f*cking break Microsoft).

Because no one actually gives you OS backup disks with a new computer any more, I didn't have a hard copy of Windows XP which I could have used to solve the problem. (Which is damn stupid because I have paid for Windows XP with each of my last two laptops. They just gave me this "hard drive partition" nonsense, which is utterly useless in the face of hardware breakdown.)

However... eventually Google revealed the answer. ADOM comes in a DOS version. And there are DOS emulators on the Interwebz. It took some fiddling to figure out how to work the emulator (like I said, I'm not great with computers and DOS went out of style before I was 10 years old), but I successfully got the game up and running. Yay!

"The large bat hits you. The kobold hits you. You die ..." :rolleyes:

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.