Forums are back in action! ×

New to the crew...

Hey all!  I am semi-new to the rebellion.  Over the last month or two I have poured over the Nerd Fitness website.  NF has helped me to begin my transition from a diabetic diet to a paleo diet and to add weight training back into my regimen.  I am a cardio junkie at heart! 

So whats my story....At the age of 25, and in good shape, I started having health problems & gaining weight without reason.  B/c I have a dietetics degree, I tried a variety of diet and exercise regimens (high protein diet, diabetic diet, cleansing, interval training, p90x, aerobics, running, etc) that I would have advised to a client. Note, none of the diets were paleo b/c my degree program taught us to advise that no carbs was a "no-no".  Lets pause, while I light my degree on fire....alright, I feel better now...While all of the above seemed to work for the majority of my friends and family that I had given advice to, they did NOTHING for me.  Fast-forward 6 years, I have 2 toddlers and have gained 65lbs. Enough is enough.  I take my food & exercise diaries to the doctor.  I am diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, aka hyperinsulemia, aka snydrome x.  Basically my body is insulin resistant, explaining my unexplainable weight gain.  B/c I already exercise & eat healthy the doc puts me on MetFormin and tells me I will be on it for life....I'm not okay with this.  Fast forward to present-day, I'm a 33 year old, stay-at-home-mama of two very active toddlers (ages 5 & 3). I miss being me.  If that makes any sense.  I want to feel good about myself, be a postitive role model for my kids, and flippin take back the very active lifestyle I had before all this started.

Soooo.... what's my plan? 

Paleo is a must for me.  Remember, I just lit my degree on fire?  I'm doing pretty good with it, but am definitely looking for encouragement in that area.  I promise to encourage back!  I love, love, love to cook and have several paleo recipes that are 'da bomb. 

As for exercise.  I have retired as a cardio junkie.  Transitioning to a "scout recruit".  Over the last two months, I have been interval training and doing the body weight workout.  Tonight, I am starting out on the level 2 - recruit workouts.  I'm stoked.

As for being a nerd, I love science, comic books, video games, and sci-fi....so I think I'm good to go there.

Goals....

The body weight workout helped me reach my first goal of doing real push-ups!  I can do 2-sets of 10.  Shakey arms on the last 2 reps in each set, but I could only do 2 when I started.

Long term goals are: 

1)  Lose 50lbs 

2)  Become a paleo expert 

3)  Get off of MetFormin & control my metabolic condition with diet and exercise.

April Goals:

1)  Drop one dress size by May (being reunited with my Hubs after him being away for 5 months of military training).

2)  Have 3 go-to paleo meal options for breakfast & lunch, so I can rotate & not get bored.

3)  Be able to do one pull-up.

Alright y'all.  Thats it!  Would love to hear from ya!  Let the sifting begin...

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

Welcome to the rebellion!!! It looks like you have some great goals lined up for yourself- can't wait to hear how you do! And did i read scout recruit??? we'd love to have you!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Thanks!  I will check it out!  I am still learning how to navigate the forums & community aspect of the website.  I flippin love your name...bacon & roadrunner brought together...anyhow, read your story today.  Very inspiring!  Way to go!

Scout

Welcome! I'm new too - and have about the same amount of weight to lose. And I have a goal of doing one pullup (for now). And I eat low-carb - I'd say Paleo, but I have to have my cheese from time to time. Other than that though, no processed foods, no carbs that aren't coming from veggies or the very occasional fruit, plenty of meat, very few processed foods, etc. I'd love to get some recipes!

Hi! I'm like five-minutes new so I wasn't going to post, but then I saw "pull-up". I've been CrossFitting for a year now and I love pull-ups. I'm not one of those obnoxious Crossfit-is-everything people, but I was sort of wondering if you've tried kipping pull-ups? They really helped me build the strength to start doing strict. Also negative pull-ups are great, and scapular retractions.

Elf-beast ranger apprentice.

STR-4   CON-2

DEX-3   WIS-4

STA-1     CHA-1

Sun's out guns out!

Welcome Scarletmoon!  I have not attempted a pull-up since junior high school gym class.  :redface-new:  LOL, I'm now 33.  I'm jotting down kipping pull-ups, negative pull-ups, and scapular retractions.  I need to do my homework.  I appreciate your input.  From the info you, Synyster & labtx have given me I should be able to get a gameplan together.  Thanks again!

Scout

Archived