Forums are back in action! ×

Stressed Student :)

The title should be fairly self-explanatory. I'm a 23-year old University student trying with juggle two jobs, school, a lazy, yet hyperactive pug, and the issue of being healthy. I've been reading Steve's articles for a while now (6 months?) and they've probably been the only thing keeping me on the right path.

I've been battling hip/lower back problems since my Senior year of high school which mainly has to do with keeping my core strength up, but I'm infamously lazy and have trouble motiviating myself to either do the exercises my physio give me or even sticking to a workout plan. I want to stay in shape, but it's hard when I "have no time", and even when I have none, and I food binge on bad stuff when I'm stressed (which leads to me feeling even more miserable, haha).

I've been dancing around joining the forum for a while, but I've seen quite a few success stories from the support from this forum, so maybe that's what I'm missing. Here I go, feet first! :)

"You don't have to be a bad ass to be a superhero, you just have to be brave" - Hitgirl

ttuesday meet monday. - Zombie Outbreak Survivors

The title should be fairly self-explanatory. I'm a 23-year old University student trying with juggle two jobs, school, a lazy, yet hyperactive pug, and the issue of being healthy. I've been reading Steve's articles for a while now (6 months?) and they've probably been the only thing keeping me on the right path.

I've been battling hip/lower back problems since my Senior year of high school which mainly has to do with keeping my core strength up, but I'm infamously lazy and have trouble motiviating myself to either do the exercises my physio give me or even sticking to a workout plan. I want to stay in shape, but it's hard when I "have no time", and even when I have none, and I food binge on bad stuff when I'm stressed (which leads to me feeling even more miserable, haha).

I've been dancing around joining the forum for a while, but I've seen quite a few success stories from the support from this forum, so maybe that's what I'm missing. Here I go, feet first! :)

Welcome to the rebellion! Support is huge! I hope that you can share what some of your goals and dreams are with us so we can cheer you on!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Welcome the the Rebellion!

Working out was hard to do when I was in school and that was just with 1 job not 2 and an adorable dog. But at least you seem to know what you bad habits are and I'm assuming you have access to a gym at your school?

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Welcome aboard!

Start with small changes.  Maybe take the long route between classes, use stairs instead of elevators, stop drinking sugary drinks, etc.  Just those small things can help you make changes that will give you more energy to make further changes.  Also, from experience, don't fall into the "I don't have time" trap.  A few push-ups, body weight squats, lunges, etc only take a matter of a couple of minutes.  Most importantly, get your diet in order.  It's the one thing that will have the biggest effect on your energy levels, and something you can actually control.

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.   

-Ferdinand Foch

Welcome the the Rebellion!

Working out was hard to do when I was in school and that was just with 1 job not 2 and an adorable dog. But at least you seem to know what you bad habits are and I'm assuming you have access to a gym at your school?

I'm going to be honest... the gym at school scares me. But yes, I do technically have access to it! But I'm trying to overcome my fear of gyms, haha.

"You don't have to be a bad ass to be a superhero, you just have to be brave" - Hitgirl

As a recently graduated student with too many jobs, I feel your stress! And I really commend you for jumping into this despite all that, good for you! I remember being in similar shoes and just eating whatever I could my hands on that was free/cheap/convenient/fast, not to mention the fact that one of my jobs was at an Italian restaurant where there was a neverending supply of food. Keep on keeping on and I'd love to hear how you are doing with it all, cheers!

Level 2 Ewok Adventurer
STR 7 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 4

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Inventory - Babel fish

I'm going to be honest... the gym at school scares me. But yes, I do technically have access to it! But I'm trying to overcome my fear of gyms, haha.

I know the feeling. The gym at my school was in the basement with unfinished cement walls and a lot of very fit people. Kinda made me nervous and I didn't think my usual "here's some free candy" would go over well.

There was an article up called the "20 second challenge" basically summed up to be brave for twenty seconds to get you to do something. 

And if that doesn't work go with Death Dealer's advice. He has an ax, always listen to a man holding an ax.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I totally get where you are coming from with the gym being a scary place. I have always felt comfortable with the "women's areas" of the gym...the machines...but never with the weight room. There's no instructions with diagrams and tips and blah blah blah like on the lovely machines...and to make it worse, there are a bunch of fit men who know what they are doing. However, I've learned to beast mode; I crank LMFAO in my ear buds and walk in that room like I'm gonna make it my lil beotch. Then I run to each place, trying not to make eye contact and get out as fast as possible. Each time, I've been more comfortable in the weight room, and I've stayed longer. So you can do it! :-) getting through the door is the hardest step, making it a routine comes naturally once you realize how great it feels. Good luck!! And welcome :-)))

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/25/the-20-second-challenge/

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! I curretly go to a women's cardio kickboxing gym, which is just core/punching/kicking, so there are no weights and unfortunately it's only once a week now (I'm SO out of shape!). I told myself last semester that I'd go to the gym with one of my friends at school, but we both psyched each other out, haha.

Maybe my goal for this semseter is to at least go in and check things out, haha. Baby steps.

Archived