Forums are back in action! ×

Help please!

seed

So far I've been on a week of Paleo although i havnt been eating much carbs except for sweet potatoes which i had a couple times. I have lost 9cms (3.5inches) off my waist but i have also lost 4cm (1.5inches) off my thighs. Ive been doing squats and deadlifts to strength my legs. Is this normal? The person at the gym said i should eat more carbs cause i might be losing muscle with fat :(

Paleo. Strength training. SL 5x5.

Serious Gamer. Poker Addict. Beer Lover.

battle log

Seed's Mirin' Brah 6 week Challenge.

Depends on what your goals are.

Is your primary preference to lose weight? If so, you likely will lose a SMALL amount of muscle mass in addition to fat - but that's OK - calorie cutting tends to have that effect. Once you're at an ideal weight, your focus can switch to putting on lean muscle.

Also, how often do you deadlift and squat?

Interested in traveling, personal wellness, and learning - currently blogging at travelnwellness.com

Depends on what your goals are.

Is your primary preference to lose weight? If so, you likely will lose a SMALL amount of muscle mass in addition to fat - but that's OK - calorie cutting tends to have that effect. Once you're at an ideal weight, your focus can switch to putting on lean muscle.

Also, how often do you deadlift and squat?

I want to lose body fat but gain lean muscle.

I deadlift, squat, and legpress once a week. (One leg exercise per day) Although I've just been reading SL5x5 so i will be doing squats 3x a week and deadlift once a week. I am fairly new to the exercises so I'm only at 110lbs maybe once i start going heavier ill be able to put on more muscle on my legs. Im kinda afraid that I'm not eating enough even though i do feel full. I started off as kinda skinny fat so i wanted to burn fat while gaining muscle over time.

battle log

That's assuming the two factors are connected. If they've lost inches off the waist and have also been on paleo for a week, good on them.

Paleo is a diet that functions by proving the point that you don't need to eat 200g of carbs a day to be full. If your buddy at the gym wants to argue results, then ask how they're doing comparatively. You're doing great, why stop.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

That's assuming the two factors are connected. If they've lost inches off the waist and have also been on paleo for a week, good on them.

Paleo is a diet that functions by proving the point that you don't need to eat 200g of carbs a day to be full. If your buddy at the gym wants to argue results, then ask how they're doing comparatively. You're doing great, why stop.

Yeah ill keep at it for another 2 weeks if my thighs keep shrinking ill have to up my calorie and squat weights? Don't want my legs to get smaller. Also my chest and arm measures havnt moved but its only week been a week and a half on paleo and SL 5x5 so ill wait a bit longer.

battle log

Just remember when you're lifting for size you want max weight/low repetition sets.  Plus you're probably going to lose some fat off your thighs in the beginning, which is going to translate in inches, I'd recommend giving the Paleo diet an entire month with your workout routine, and see if it doesn't have results.  Anyways anyone who's read some literature on diet and muscle building knows that protein (especially in fish) produces the best results, carbs just give you energy. 

Race: Deva | STR: 5  DEX: 4  STA: 4  CON: 3  WIS: 4  CHA: 2

! = Inactive ! = Active/Non-Focus ! = Active/Main Focus

Wizard Lv. 5 Monk Lv. 1 Assassin Lv. 2 

CURRENT CHALLENGE: ZachAcid - Tutorial Finished: C! Next Phase: Conditioning

BATTLE LOG: Experience Box (BLLVL: 2)

PROGRAMMING: Reshaping My Body for Parkour

QUEST: The Quest of A Buddha

Just remember when you're lifting for size you want max weight/low repetition sets.  Plus you're probably going to lose some fat off your thighs in the beginning, which is going to translate in inches, I'd recommend giving the Paleo diet an entire month with your workout routine, and see if it doesn't have results.  Anyways anyone who's read some literature on diet and muscle building knows that protein (especially in fish) produces the best results, carbs just give you energy. 

Yeah that totally makes sense. Im doing 5x5SL although I'm starting on a medium weight to my level because of form. Im loving the diet and training  at the moment. I don't think ill stop with Paleo. I live in the south pacific where fish isn't super expensive and its all natural, so i should take advantage of that and eat more fish :D

battle log

Archived