Forums are back in action! ×

Heel Pain, Need Help

OK So I've been doing body weight workouts every other day and starting the last 2-3 times one heel is extremely painful after my workouts. So much so that I am still limping a bit a day later. It's the side that is the longer leg so not wearing any sort of pad or lift on that side. I do on my other leg....

I'm a beginner.

However, I have a lot of walking and farm stuff to do as a normal thing for my day after a winter of sloth and starting next week with shearing we get really busy so I can't really afford to be hobbling right now.

Anyone have any clue what might be going on or how to fix it or mitigate the problems?

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

It is only painful AFTER you aggrivate it? With rest, the pain goes away? Does it hurt when you first wake up, then lessen as the day goes on, or does it get worse with use?

First thing, stay off it for 3-7 days as much as you can. Ice it for the first day it's painful, take an anti-inflammatory, apply heat when it doesn't feel aggrivated to promote healing, let it recover, then once you've gone a few days with NO PAIN WHATSOEVER, slowly phase in workouts (start at half intensity for the first one, then increase to 75%, then 100%). As soon as you start to feel discomfort, STOP, take note of what aggrivated it, and dial it back the next day. If it's bruising or an aggrivated tendon or somesuch, letting it recover and then slowly increasing intensity should fix it. If it is still hurting after babying it, then it could be something more dramatic.

You can still do arm and core based stuff in the meantime, if you don't want to be too slothy. Knee planks, knee pushups, etc.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

That sounds like it might require a doctor's visit. I'm not an expert and it's hard for me to make a guess on so little info, but I suspect it won't go away by itself. Could be plantar fasciitis maybe.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

plantar fasciitis usually has heel pain that is worse in the morning, then lessens as the fascia stretches through use through the day. If that IS the case, you can do various stretches to lessen the symptoms, but yes, doctors visit is likely recommended.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

It is only painful AFTER you aggrivate it? With rest, the pain goes away? Does it hurt when you first wake up, then lessen as the day goes on, or does it get worse with use?

Painful after exercise, rest makes it go away, gets worse if I do stuff. I'll see about getting in to a doctor and will lay of extra exercise for a while. I've been doing a lot of jump rope stuff as I like that and I use it as a warm up and in place of jumping jacks in the beginner body weight routine.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

yeah... don't jump-rope if your heel hurts you. :P Definitely go to a doctor, and a physotherapist if you can manage it. I've found general practitioners to be pretty useless.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Definitely go to a doctor, and a physotherapist if you can manage it. I've found general practitioners to be pretty useless.

Rural GPs tend to be better only because they see everything. Worst case I'll call my vet. Seriously, I've used a vet as a second opinion a lot of times. After all I'm a mammal too and they are trained in more species and more general medical knowledge than most human doctors.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess