Forums are back in action! ×

New Nerd from (New?) New York

Hey there, Nerd Fitness! I'm a big fan of the site/blog and want to join the ranks of my fellow health and fitness conscious nerds. I've always been in varying forms of overweight and really want to change things. I've also been a nerd all my life and have no need to change that part. (On some level, I will always want to be Batman.) I look forward to having a group to share in this journey and to help support others in their quests as well.

My goals:

- Get down to 120 lbs (I'm about 160 now so 40 lbs)

- Do A pull up

- Run a 5k (running throughout, no walking)

- Become a parkour runner

- Eat healthier overall

Oh, and Masked Shrike is my superhero name.

Well, it's great to meet you all and good luck to everyone!

Welcome! You picked a great time to start as the cold is finally leaving (I'm your neighbor up in Maine).

Check out some of the resources here we have all the things you're going to need to turn yourself into Batman (minus 18 billion dollars)

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Hello fellow new yorker! I am guessing you are from the city though?

You and I share a similar goal, to do a pull up. Have you started doing anything specific to work towards it?  The article on here about it helped.  I also found a video online about how starting with chin up negatives, then pull up negatives, then chin ups, then pull ups, is another good way to gain the strength to do them. I really think its working.  Ive only been doing them for about a week and I think I am getting better at them. (if your interested I can try to find the link.  This guy with no shirt is in it so its a little hard to take serious but at the same time you know he knows what hes talking about haha)

One of the big things to the success of doing a pull up is losing weight (duh).  Its kind of like cheating when you think about it, but in a good way!  The more you lose, the easier they get.

Parkour is an interesting goal.  I was interested in it for a time.  Then I remembered I live in areas surrounded by trees.  So I just settled on a goal of climbing a tree.

Good luck!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Actually, no, I live in a rather rural area midstate but that's not going to stop me from learning parkour. (I'll just practice on the rock scrambles and mutiple trails around my house. :topsy_turvy:  ) But climbing a tree is a damn good goal too. Think of all the pull up potential there!

The only real start I have on the pull ups is the bent over dumbbell rows - and the weight loss part. I need to find a good place to start the body weight rows.

Ah, if only becoming batman came with some monetary return. Could do without the parental loss though.

Thanks for all the welcoming and good luck to all of you!

Very nice, I also live in the middle upper part of the state.

I was always interested in parkour with a woods element.  I spend a lot of time in the woods behind my house, and the idea of being able to run through it and jump over stuff like fallen trees with skill seems like such a cool goal. Im always jealous of my friend who climbs trees with ease.

I have found that negatives are helping me a lot. I have only been doing them about a week but I already feel stronger (taking longer to descend).

BW rows (inverted rows) are killer. 

I am sure you can find a lot of help in the Assassins guild since I am pretty sure one of their focuses is parkour. Good luck!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

It's wonerful to meet another middle New Yorker!

That's what I was thinking. And I cerrtainly don't have a shortage of woods around me in which to practice. We'll both get there (parkour and tree climbing), with some hard work.

Ooh, that's sounds great. I'll definitely have to find a good place to do negatives.

Thanks! And you too!

Archived