Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Down Under

Hey all

I've been reading NerdFitness since last year, but it's time to de-lurk and be part of this community :)

I'm a 27 year old Australian woman and a newbie to strength training. It's something I've wanted to do for years - Krista from Stumptuous.com and NerdFitness inspired me - but I never had the courage to do it until now. I'm absolutely loving it. I do barbells with a personal trainer once a week, and then two or three dumbbell and kettlebell workouts in my apartment complex gym. I am a total fitness noob who couldn't even work out how to do a bodyweight squat a short while ago. But now I do barbell squats, and dumbbell squats, and bodyweight squats, and jump squats... 

My current goal is to complete 100 hours of strength training consistently. The reason that I picked this goal is that I often get discouraged and give up because when in reality I just need to keep going until I get it. I figure that if I make the main focus just getting through 100 hours, I will learn and build strength along the way. So far I'm at Hour 14! 

I'm committed to an active and healthy lifestyle as the way I want to live. I'm here because I want to be part of a community where people support me to do that and I support them in return. I do have friends here who have similar views. But I also have a lot of people around who regard looking after yourself as a sign of insecurity ("you don't want to have that doughnut? you must be brainwashed by beauty magazines"), and my family are all about crash diets, not exercising and being a size 2. So I really like NerdFitness for all the encouragement, understanding and commonsense I come across when I read Steve's posts and the comments  on these forums. 

Oh, and when I'm not strength training, I'm a lawyer and a postgrad student. Busy busy busy...

Looking forward to getting to know you all better soon :)

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Hello and welcome amongst rebels dear Huntress - very cool nickname must say :)

Get comfy, get in touch, find friends and support - and above all - have fun :)

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Nice goals! I wish I had a trainer to work with... I've been too intimidated to pick up a barbell without one, heh. Working my weight up to it though with other basic dumbbell and kettlebell strength training. Good luck with your 100 hours!

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

Fair enough, Irish Oisin! I lived in a Scandinavian country during one of their winters so I am entirely receptive to the argument that Australians have a limited understanding of cold. Were you here during summer as well? If 20 degrees is like being set on fire for you, I hope you didn't have to deal with any 40 degree scorchers...

Thanks Caitriona! Yeah, I feel lucky in that respect. He is a friend of mine and gives me a discounted rate otherwise it wouldn't be possible for me. Like you, I would be too intimidated without a trainer... and dumbells and kettlebells ain't half bad either ;) also nice Doctor Who reference in your signature! 

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

haha, I was in Perth in 2008, which had a bit of a heatwave by Aussie standards, upa round 40 degrees most days and then I went to Broom where I experienced 50 degrees. I loved it, but it was pretty fuckin hot, I was sweating from body parts that never sweat before!

40-50 degrees, the temperature of the surface of the sun I believe?

Go BIG, or go home.

Archived