Forums are back in action! ×

Aging Parents?

riotgrly

Frustrated this year a LOT because my desire to finally get in shape collided almost immediately with my mother's health going drastically downhill. Additionally, I have 4 kids a home (2 special needs) and a new marriage. And I work of course.

Somehow, it mostly gets balanced and done, but some days....

Anyone else here? How do you manage? Tips? Hints?

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5

I don't have to deal with this problem yet but I have friends and relatives go through this.  I'm assuming she is living on her own.  I would recomend finding some additional help for your Mom.  Her doctor or health insurance may have some recomendations.  If not many communities in our area have a Council on Aging.   I am sure that their are probably similar organizations in your area.  Also if she is a member of a Church they may be helpful. 

You have a lot on your plate and I am sure this is very stressfull.  Often these situations are more stressful on the caretaker than the person being cared for.  My point is it is important to find ways to continue taking care of yourself and manage your own stress.

"It is hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off"

Florence and the Machine

Thank you :) It is tough and we're still sorting it all out-she started to decline rather swiftly and kind of took us all by surprise....I do need to check into the services for the elderly near us though. *facepalm* I work in human services, You'd think I'd have done that already.

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5

As a cancer survivor, I agree with FisherCat. It is a different stress for the victim, than it is for the caretaker. For one, victims  are often only allowed to care for themselves in order to keep their strength and energy up to fight the illness.You may find that helping others is your only goal right now, but I urge you to make sure that the things you are taking on, over and way above your usual, are things that really need to get done. If so, by whom? Does it have to be you? Does she have insurance that could pay for in-home care? Or a visiting nurse?

Who else can visit her? What can your family do around your home to help out? Little things that are doable for them and take a little off you. It adds up. I had friends come visit me and they would bring food so that my partner didn't have to cook. She actually got to take time off from me. It's not bad. It's imperative.

So I suppose you could make a to-do list with options for who could do them and when they had to get done.

No matter what give yourself time (I mean it, time!) You can't help her when you rush through your own self-care. I've seen people try and it's heartbreaking to watch them pay for it for years after.

I hope the best for your mom and for you and your family. Blessed Be.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Archived