Forums are back in action! ×

Handstand Push Up Achievement Unlocked!

I did it.

Yesterday night, for the first time ever, I did a full handstand push up...well, a few of them.

For the past month and a half, I've been doing nothing but body weight exercises to try and build strength. I started with divembomber push ups, plyo push ups, and holding handstands for as long as possible...thinking I was months off from attempting handstand push ups.

Then, a few weeks back, I decided to give it a shot - getting into a handstand position with my feet against a wall or pole, I could go about halfway down, and do sets of five before my shoulders were cooked.

Last night, for my first set I did two full pushups (with my head hitting the ground), and then three more half handstand push ups.

I'm also building my shoulder, back, and core strength like crazy by working on this progression (http://old.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl/default.aspx?rm=mode3&articleid=229) for planches and front levers.

I can hold the frog squat for about 50 seconds, so i'm close to level 2 on that one...but a long way off on the level 1 progression of the front levers...can only hold for about 24 seconds before my shoulders and core give out. BUT IT'S GETTING BETTER.

I remember watching videos for those movements a while back and thinking "i could never do that."

However, once you take the optimus prime approach and break it down by one movement at a time, one second at a time, and small progressions, it doesn't seem so impossible.

WOOT from Australia!

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

hahahahaha... gonna have to work up to four sets of 10 before I consider the next step.

I guess after that, the next step would be working on free-standing (no wall support for balance) handstands?

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

holy crap, how'd I miss this. Belated congradulations, man! That's epic!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins