Forums are back in action! ×

Just finished my first workout

Hello, my name is Casey from Seattle WA and I just finished my first workout! I'm currently 235 and my short term goal is to lose 25 pounds by the end of July (thats in 4 months).

I've decided to level up for 3 reasons

1. Its getting harder to move since my gut is in the way
  2. I have a large family history of diabetes and need to get ahead of that and get healthy now while my blood is working for me
  3. We are having our second child in June and I need to be able to play with my children without wanting to die. 

You can also find me geocaching as GeoHueb.

My first, and not last, question is, what are most folks doing on their non strength training day? My guess is running or some sort of cardio

Hey Casey, congrats, sounds like you have decided to make a positive lifestyle change :) think of all the good memories your kids with have playing with their Dad...

I think it depends on what people's goals are. People looking to lose weight might do some cardio or some interval training. But it's ok to rest and recover, too. In fact your body needs it to get fitter.

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Hello and welcome!  I was in a similar situation to you before.  I had over 100 pounds to lose, and as of a few months ago I reached my goal.  I know that it can seem like a huge obstacle, but I think you've already taken a really good step by setting a reachable goal.

As far as "off" days I really didnt do anything intensive when I first started losing.  I wouldn't purposefully go out and do exercise, becuase going from zero exercise to 7 days a week would just be too much. Instead I changed things about my everyday life that I did anyways.

For instance take the stairs not the elevators. This next one is a big one that I did since I would be driving to work/college/etc almost every day.  Park farther away from wherever your going and walk.  Whenever I would go shopping etc I would always look for a parking spot closest to the entrance.  Now I just take one near the end and walk in.  Enjoy the outdoors as well and do small things that get you up and moving. Go for a walk to talk with neighbors (or family if they are close) that you havent seen in a bit. Do things at home on your feet instead of sitting down.  The more time you stand the better.

The point is that I wouldn't push exercise into your routine at too quick a pace.

I also might suggest joining a gym.  While I have some work out stuff in my home, its to easy to get distracted there.  When I go to the gym its about 20 minutes away and I know that I am there to get things done.  I go to planet fitness, its 10 dollars a month for their cheapest membership. The facilities are always nice and clean and the staff is really helpful.  The downfall is a lack of free weights.  But what they do have is a 30 minute circuit that I did the first few months of my weight loss.  It really helped me out. 

How is your diet?  I know for me that was, and still is, the biggest thing fighting my wieght loss.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Hey Casey, I am in a similar weight bracket and on the cardio front until I dropped a lot of my gut I used the cross trainer and the bike to reduce the impact on my knees. 

Running has bee the bane of my work out for a while and i have had friends of a similar build fail at running and give up. Move on to running as your fitness builds up. 

I like your goals and the reasons behind them. Let us know how you are doing!

Level 3 Half Orc Warrior 

Just another 15kg each side it will be fine

STR: 11 | DEX: 3 | CON: 5| STA: 9 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 4

Welcome!

It depends on what my body is telling me. Some days I'll do absolutely nothing and others I'll go jog for 20 minutes, it depends on my mood.

What I did when I first started getting in shape was just take walks around town or my neighborhood. That way I wasn't so much exercising as reliving my childhood past time of exploring. >.>

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Great work on just tacking that first workout! Too many people say "I'll start first thing tomorrow" or something like that. There is no better time then now! Welcome to the rebellion! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived