Forums are back in action! ×

30 Days of Biking

joshmartell

Has anyone done the 30 days of biking challenge? http://30daysofbiking.com/

I'm trying it this year. Today will be day 1. The challenge is to get on your bike every day for 30 days. It doesn't matter how far or how long you ride, as long as you do it. You can ride 1 lap around your coffee table or 22 miles along your favorite bike path, doesn't matter as long as you ride at least once per day for 30 days and mention it online somehow. Twitter, blog, Facebook, whatever. I think this will be a great motivator to get me outside more.

If you've done it before, how was it? Did you make it all 30 days?

I like this challenge - I'm going to try it this summer.  We just got some fresh snow, so it is not time for it just yet, but I've committed to commuting to work on my bike this year, so this will provide me that extra motivation as well as stop me from not going mountain biking because I've already ridden my bike that day.

To answer you, I've never done it, but I'm going to give it a shot this summer!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

Ooooo, I think I need to try this! I miss biking and with my old coworkers posting about the MS 150 from Houston to Austin, I'm definitely itching for a reason to get back in the saddle. Maybe this will motivate me to drag my bike to a shop for the tune up it so desperately needs. Also, the weather is getting nicer, so I definitely see this working out.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

I haven't heard of this but I definitely stand behind it! I've inadvertently done multiple 30 days of biking over the last few years.. wish I had known. Remember, poor weather doesn't exist, just poor clothing choices ;)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!†― Hunter S. ThompsonLevel 2 Wood Elf RangerSTR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3 CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Remember, poor weather doesn't exist, just poor clothing choices ;)

I like that! If I remember that quote maybe I can convince myself to bike to work once in a while (always complain that it's too cold in the mornings).

Went for slightly longer rides yesterday (http://t.co/YHcVNj9VOo) and today (http://t.co/QaU4bhlSOs). 4 days in a row so far. I hope that by the end of this month grabbing my bike becomes my preference over hopping in my truck.

I haven't heard of this but I definitely stand behind it! I've inadvertently done multiple 30 days of biking over the last few years.. wish I had known. Remember, poor weather doesn't exist, just poor clothing choices ;)

Sadly, poor weather does exist.  As a longtime bike commuter (17+ mi/day currently), I can give you a rundown of things to avoid like the plague:

1.  Winds over 40 mph.  I live in Colorado.  This happens.  Getting blown sideways through an intersection is BAD.

2.  35 and rain/sleet/snow.  At this temperature the precipitation melts on you and something, somewhere will get wet.  In my case my jacket is awesome, but my tights get soaked.  If you can't keep your body temperature up, you're in trouble.

3.  Dark+ice+cars.  I ride in the snow with some frequency, but if the cars can't reliably not slide into me, I give it a pass.

Those are my carpool days.  The rest of the time, I ride, hitting roughly 4000-5000 miles/year.

Biking is an awesome double-whammy of practical transportation and feel-good exercise.  Hit me up for advice.  For now:

1.  Wear a helmet

2.  Own and carry a small blinky taillight and a good recharegable headlight.  Little blinky headlights are relatively useless.  For $100-200 you can get a fantastic headlight these days, allowing you to be seen and see well enough to ride at daylight speeds.

Sadly, poor weather does exist.  As a longtime bike commuter (17+ mi/day currently), I can give you a rundown of things to avoid like the plague:

1.  Winds over 40 mph.  I live in Colorado.  This happens.  Getting blown sideways through an intersection is BAD.

Yes, this is bad. I can imagine you getting some gnarly weather out in CO. Here in CT even at it's worst it isn't that bad. But yes common sense dictates rides. If you aren't comfortable in the conditions it isn't worth it. As for blinky's, this is what I have and it works fine, and it's on the cheap end of the spectrum.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4023958&cp=3677345.3737447

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!†― Hunter S. ThompsonLevel 2 Wood Elf RangerSTR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3 CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

As for blinky's, this is what I have and it works fine, and it's on the cheap end of the spectrum.

Planet bike is one of the few people that do a good, non-rechargeable headlight.  Here's the thing:

Regular battery headlights are designed to squeeze a little light out of a long battery life.  A recharegable light has to be charged after every few hours of use, so it pumps out way more light all at once.  Cheap blinkies are great for taillights - I have an assortment and try to always carry a backup, but nothing beats 150+ lumens coming out of your headlight.  They are awesome for safety and confidence in the dark.  I strongly recommend all regular commuters have one, lest they become "bike ninjas"! 

(Note: camping headlamps are a good stopgap)

Archived