Forums are back in action! ×

Backpacking the UK?

littlewings

Yesterday, I got a message from a friend that's soon ending her semester abroad in London. She's invited me up for 2 weeks in May to backpack the UK with her before coming home, and then we may swing down to Europe (plan is still being compiled.) I'm psyched. Words cannot even describe it. I already booked my ticket to London so I can't change my mind, because at the same time, I'm terrified. I've never really traveled without my family, or been on a plane alone, and I never even dreamed of getting this opportunity at this age, but seeing the UK is something I've constantly wanted to do. Not to mention the money it's costing, but I have family helping out -- I am incredibly blessed -- even though I plan on paying them back eventually.

The plan so far is Edinburgh, Scotland, possibly St. Andrews, too. And Dublin, then either Barcelona or somewhere in Sweden. We're looking for cheap places, really, all I care about is seeing places I've never been and taking photos...

Questions: Is there anything crucial I should know about backpacking? Silly question, but I'm not even sure what to pack/how much/how little to pack. I'll be there for 2 weeks but I want to pack light, obviously. And my mind can't seem to wrap around how this is going to be possible. Another issue is I'm taking an online course during the summer so I'd need my laptop with me, which is already getting me a bit stressed. Any good resources or advice that anyone wants to recommend would be fantastic! :) Any places that I MUST try to go see?

I'm already a cautious person and my friend has already been around traveling since she's stayed there for so long already, so I'll at least be with someone who knows what they're doing, but I would still like to think there are things I should be aware of. I have a month to prepare though. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated! :)

If you don't know how already, learn how to hand wash. Extremely helpful when packing light. I sometimes take it a step further and wash my clothes when I shower, two birds one stone. Then after you've dried yourself with your towel roll your clothes up in your towel nice and tight to squeeze the water out. This helps to dry your clothes quicker. Also if you can, get a micro fiber towel. They don't really feel like real towels but they dry you really well, they dry out ridiculously quickly and they scrunch up really small.

Summer is never summer in the UK especially, but just check with your friend what the climate is like, nothing worse than having to fork out precious money for clothes you could have brought from home.

The other thing is that you wont see everything in 2 weeks, its impossible. You can stay in London for 2 weeks and not see everything. I spent 7 weeks there last year and didn't even get to Camden Markets, which you should do if you can. But if you plan well enough you can see a lot if thats what you are wanting to do.

There's a lot to know about backpacking, and a lot of different opinions and ideas. I think that you have to take advice with a pinch of salt and find what works for you. And most of all, have fun and learn. If things get uncomfortable just embrace it, find the high points and relish in them.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I love Europe and can't wait to get back there again.

Comfortable shoes. I cannot stress enough how important comfortable shoes are. Good socks too.

Summer in the UK and Ireland (Which is NOT part of the UK, which is a common mistake people make) can be very bloody cold, so don't pack for an overly warm summer. 2 weeks is a very short time to try to see everything you want to see, how long do you have in Dublin? I can advise on the best things to do in Dublin.

One, big towel is also good to have. Always bring a towel.

Go BIG, or go home.

Pack for rain, it rains 90% of the time here and it gets bloody freezing. In my opinion, head up to Scotland and Ireland as England is a bit shit. Backpack the Highlands. Best thing in the world.

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Well if you venture up to Cambridge I'll give you a guided tour. Take a train from London. You can do a good day trip relatively cheaply. UK is awesome, while my wife and I don't really backpack we do a lot of travel by train and its a great way to see the country. It can cost though and reserving seats is recommended for long trips as popular lines could be standing room only.

London is great Camden markets are amazing and taking the emirates cable car is worthwhile. There's heaps you can see for free if you do your research.

Just been to Edinburgh and it was awesome. Do a merkat tour of the vaults and sample some of the whisky. The castle is awesome and visit Carlton park for amazing free views.

Dublin is very good. There are really excellent walking tours you can download for free on the tourism website. Maps are included. The history is amazing. Guinness storehouse is very cool though some say overrated for the price. You maybe able to get it free with a package deal.

In two weeks there is a lot you can do and see. I'm horribly biased but if you can pop up to Cambridge as there is a vast amount of history and beauty in the city that you can fit into a day trip.

Stickswinger, level 1 Beastman monkSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 2

If you don't know how already, learn how to hand wash. Extremely helpful when packing light. I sometimes take it a step further and wash my clothes when I shower, two birds one stone. Then after you've dried yourself with your towel roll your clothes up in your towel nice and tight to squeeze the water out. This helps to dry your clothes quicker. Also if you can, get a micro fiber towel. They don't really feel like real towels but they dry you really well, they dry out ridiculously quickly and they scrunch up really small.

Summer is never summer in the UK especially, but just check with your friend what the climate is like, nothing worse than having to fork out precious money for clothes you could have brought from home.

The other thing is that you wont see everything in 2 weeks, its impossible. You can stay in London for 2 weeks and not see everything. I spent 7 weeks there last year and didn't even get to Camden Markets, which you should do if you can. But if you plan well enough you can see a lot if thats what you are wanting to do.

There's a lot to know about backpacking, and a lot of different opinions and ideas. I think that you have to take advice with a pinch of salt and find what works for you. And most of all, have fun and learn. If things get uncomfortable just embrace it, find the high points and relish in them.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I love Europe and can't wait to get back there again.

Didn't even think about it, but handwashing - or even in the shower - seems like a brilliant idea. I'll be asking about the weather, too, but I figure it won't be too hot. (I'm in Canada though, so I'm being pretty hopeful... anything without snow at this point would be awesome) I figured there'd be way too much to see but whatever I do get to see, I'm super excited. I'll be wary about the rain, but otherwise, sounds good! Thanks! :D

I'll post a fuller reply later (I'm getting ready for work) but I'd be happy to help out with the Scottish leg of your trip.

Backpacking is pretty safe here and most hostels have WiFi for your laptop.

Okie! :) I'll be sure to bug you about it.

Comfortable shoes. I cannot stress enough how important comfortable shoes are. Good socks too.

Summer in the UK and Ireland (Which is NOT part of the UK, which is a common mistake people make) can be very bloody cold, so don't pack for an overly warm summer. 2 weeks is a very short time to try to see everything you want to see, how long do you have in Dublin? I can advise on the best things to do in Dublin.

One, big towel is also good to have. Always bring a towel.

YES. I've been wondering about shoes. I'm going to be looking for a comfortable pair of black runners if I can, but I would prefer something casual. I figure boots might be too heavy, but I might be able to find a comfortable pair if I try. For sure, that's a priority on my list. (Also I thought part of Ireland was considered to be part of the UK, but I could be wrong >.>)

I'll be in Dublin for about 3 days. :) I figure it's not a lot of time, but I've always wanted to go so any little bit I can see will make me happy. (Also my friend was there for St. Paddy's so she said she's just looking forward to seeing it sober... :tongue:) Towel is being added to the list!

Pack for rain, it rains 90% of the time here and it gets bloody freezing. In my opinion, head up to Scotland and Ireland as England is a bit shit. Backpack the Highlands. Best thing in the world.

My friend is staying in England, so don't have much choice on that one, but I'll be prepared!

Well if you venture up to Cambridge I'll give you a guided tour. Take a train from London. You can do a good day trip relatively cheaply. UK is awesome, while my wife and I don't really backpack we do a lot of travel by train and its a great way to see the country. It can cost though and reserving seats is recommended for long trips as popular lines could be standing room only.

London is great Camden markets are amazing and taking the emirates cable car is worthwhile. There's heaps you can see for free if you do your research.

Just been to Edinburgh and it was awesome. Do a merkat tour of the vaults and sample some of the whisky. The castle is awesome and visit Carlton park for amazing free views.

Dublin is very good. There are really excellent walking tours you can download for free on the tourism website. Maps are included. The history is amazing. Guinness storehouse is very cool though some say overrated for the price. You maybe able to get it free with a package deal.

In two weeks there is a lot you can do and see. I'm horribly biased but if you can pop up to Cambridge as there is a vast amount of history and beauty in the city that you can fit into a day trip.

Awesome!! This gives me a lot of options to browse. :) I completely forgot about the Guinness storehouse, so will have to check that out, too. I can't remember how long we're staying in London for but I'll see about Cambridge. We may end up staying longer in Scotland than England, but it's still in planning. Thanks! :D

YES. I've been wondering about shoes. I'm going to be looking for a comfortable pair of black runners if I can, but I would prefer something casual. I figure boots might be too heavy, but I might be able to find a comfortable pair if I try. For sure, that's a priority on my list. (Also I thought part of Ireland was considered to be part of the UK, but I could be wrong >.>)

I'll be in Dublin for about 3 days. :) I figure it's not a lot of time, but I've always wanted to go so any little bit I can see will make me happy. (Also my friend was there for St. Patty's so she said she's just looking forward to seeing it sober... :tongue:) Towel is being added to the list!

Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the UK because England tried to take over all of Ireland and there was a war of independence and after some political negotiation most of Ireland became an independent country. And ever since there's been tensions in the North. That is the super condensed version of the story. But Irish people can be a bit sensitive if you think Ireland is in the UK, there's a lot of history there. BUT, we're all have friends there so we like English people. We love and respect when people know this information!

The Guinness Storehouse is a good tour and the pub at the top has a good view of Dublin. The bus top tour gives you a good view of the city too. Places to walk around: Temple Bar, O' Connell Street, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green is beautiful, Phoenix Park is amazing as well, it has a zoo in it, but the park is gorgeous on a nice day, and the president of Ireland lives there too! Dublin is literally wall to wall with historical sites!

The shoes are important because you WILL be doing a lot of walking with a backpack on your back! 

Go BIG, or go home.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland. Northern Ireland is part of the UK because England tried to take over all of Ireland and there was a war of independence and after some political negotiation most of Ireland became an independent country. And ever since there's been tensions in the North. That is the super condensed version of the story. But Irish people can be a bit sensitive if you think Ireland is in the UK, there's a lot of history there. BUT, we're all have friends there so we like English people. We love and respect when people know this information!

The Guinness Storehouse is a good tour and the pub at the top has a good view of Dublin. The bus top tour gives you a good view of the city too. Places to walk around: Temple Bar, O' Connell Street, Grafton Street, St. Stephen's Green is beautiful, Phoenix Park is amazing as well, it has a zoo in it, but the park is gorgeous on a nice day, and the president of Ireland lives there too! Dublin is literally wall to wall with historical sites!

The shoes are important because you WILL be doing a lot of walking with a backpack on your back! 

Okay, good to know. :)

Guinness Storehouse has been added to the list FOR SURE. I'm stoked. I've heard it's a must-see and the view is great. I'm going to check out Phoenix Park as well. Zoo could be a fun stop too! I'll be marking all of those down. :D

Please, please please don't just go to London. Try Manchester on your way up to Scotland. Or York. Or Leeds. So many people just visit London when they come to the UK and don't get me wrong London is great, but there are other incredible places too. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

It's not a huge city to be perfectly honest but it's easy get around, a lot of modern touches have been added over the last 10 years and it all looks pretty fantastic

I hear Bath is amazing, well worth checking out!

Honestly, I don't mind it being a small city. I've lived in Toronto my whole life but I should have been born on a farm/in a small town. :P The small cities will be nicer to check around and probably a lot easier! Especially since I'll only have 3 days in Dublin. I'm sure it'll be beautiful. Bath has been added to the list to check out! :)

Please, please please don't just go to London. Try Manchester on your way up to Scotland. Or York. Or Leeds. So many people just visit London when they come to the UK and don't get me wrong London is great, but there are other incredible places too. 

I will have to see if it'll be possible. :( We're flying to Dublin from London a few days after I get in, but we may be able to do a day trip somewhere! At least before we go home, we're going to East Sussex, though if that counts?

Honestly, if you're going to Dublin don't just go to the Temple Bar and go 'well, that's Ireland seen'. Go explore! Ask locals for good places to go and things to do. If possible get out of the city proper and see what else Ireland has to offer. Buses are pretty cheap so travel won't be a problem.

Or just ask Oisín :D

Adventurer Lv. 1

20/100 EXP

If you're in Dublin over a weekend I'd be willing to meet up and offer my services as tour guide and entertainer*

*might not actually be a song-and-dance kind of entertainer, more of a creative-use-of-swearwords entertainer

I love it and it's a fun place!

LOL. We'll see how it goes and I'll ask what my friends' plans are!

Honestly, if you're going to Dublin don't just go to the Temple Bar and go 'well, that's Ireland seen'. Go explore! Ask locals for good places to go and things to do. If possible get out of the city proper and see what else Ireland has to offer. Buses are pretty cheap so travel won't be a problem.

Or just ask Oisín :D

I hope to go out of the city a bit, but with only 3 days, it really depends. I will try, though. :)

I hear Bath is amazing, well worth checking out!

Bath is a nice day trip, but I wouldn't recommend it for a longer stayover unless you're heavily into photography and/or student-style pub-hopping.  I spent a weekout there thanks to a friend who went to university there and oversold it -  It's totally possible to hit the Roman baths, the clothing and fasion museums and a couple of pubs and in a single day and still have time left over in the evening.  A weekend was honestly too much.

That said, if you're staying with your friend in London, I'd totally recommend taking the train out there for a day though - it's certainly nice enough!

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

We are coming over for the first week in October-London 2 days, Edinburgh 1 day, and then finishing off with 3 days in Dublin.  Thanks for this thread, great to read. Any rebels that live in these cities, would love if anyone wants to meet up at a pub one evening!

just keep on trucking...

We are coming over for the first week in October-London 2 days, Edinburgh 1 day, and then finishing off with 3 days in Dublin.  Thanks for this thread, great to read. Any rebels that live in these cities, would love if anyone wants to meet up at a pub one evening!

Awesome! One thing I did that wasn't mentioned in the thread was go to see Abbey Road, too, but that's just if you're enough of a Beatles fan! ;) I lost my chance for meetups because my trip was so badly planned out (we really played everything by ear.)

ALSO. DUBLIN. Biggest regret is not doing a tour of the cliffs. It was about 40 euros but it's the first thing I'm doing when/if I ever go there again. And the hostels I stayed in (if you're staying in hostels):

- St. Christopher's in London (bit expensive)

- BudgetBackpacker's in Edinburgh

- Dublin was Kinlay's

I'm in Edinburgh and totally up for meeting up. Feel free to pick my brain if there's anything I can help with.

Archived