Forums are back in action! ×

I can't think of a witty title so yeah.

Hi. I'm a college student and I want to get fit.

I started running last year, around November. And I have done a couple of 5K's and one 10K. Despite that, I'm still half as good as a beginner. I still can't do a continuous long run because I have a bad breathing pattern. Anyway, I have been reading articles and blog posts about Paleo diet and strength trainings (mostly from this site). I did try to do it for one week but I think I was doing it wrong so I stopped. Basically, I need help and support. Hopefully, I can get it from here. :)

My goals are:

• Do a long continuous run (at least 5K).
  • Or just get better with the whole running thing.
  • Do push ups. (I can't. Seriously. High five to anyone who can do 3 consecutive push ups and make it look effortless!)
  • Have a Primal lifestyle.
  • Build muscle (preferably like Jennifer Carpenter's body, at least her abs haha)
  • Maybe become a triathlete. But bikes are so expensive and I can't swim, so nevermind.

Hi, I'm 18 and in sixth form, so we're in the same position! :D

I've just started running (for the third time) and am redoing the Couch to 5k program. Have you tried that? It's really good for gradually increasing your runs and will help you practice your breathing bit by bit. Remember to look up when you're running, looking down can make breathing a lot harder.

Pushups are hard too! Before the start of this challnege I couldn't do a full one. Can you do half pushups? I worked on doing 3 sets of 10 of those to start with, then gradually adding one full pushup to the first set, then the second etc. Now I can do 3x6 full pushups after 5 and a half weeks. :)

Welcome to the rebellion, and if you have any more questions, just ask and there are loads of really knowledgable folks around here who can help you!

Level 2 Gnome adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 5|CON 8|WIS 11|CHA 3

Challenge 2

hi! welcome aboard.  you will find all sorts of helpful info here.  i've been following the primal lifestyle (mostly) for almost a year - feel free to message me if you have any questions - the Paleo/Primal board is a great place as well.

have you read Steve's article on learning to do push ups? Don't be ashamed - I can carry my 4 yr old around all day - but ask me to crank out 5 push ups and I wilt.  it takes some practice.  if you sign up for the next 6 week challenge (starts in a few weeks) - you could make that a goal.  

also - don't sell yourself short. you can be a triathlete if you work at it.  start saving little bits of $ now for a bike. unless you are afraid of the water - you can learn to swim in an hour. sounds like you have a grasp on the running part - so you are already 33.3% there.  

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

I like the Doctor Who reference in your username! You can become I triathlete if you want to!

Thats what drew me to this post too.

Good luck with your training Allons-y. The hardest bit is starting, but the best part is seeing all your improvements. When it comes to push ups, its amazing how quickly you can build these up, you can start by doing knee ones to build your strength and then progress from there. 

I also take much longer than most to improve my running. I trained forever before running my first 5k and still came in behind a friend that had been training less than half the time I had. It will get better though! I found my major problem was in diet and recovery. Learn to swim! I didn't learn until I was 25! Anyway, just keep pushing, and welcome to the rebellion! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

hi, I'm 18 and in sixth form, so we're in the same position! :D

I've just started running (for the third time) and am redoing the Couch to 5k program. Have you tried that? It's really good for gradually increasing your runs and will help you practice your breathing bit by bit. Remember to look up when you're running, looking down can make breathing a lot harder.

Pushups are hard too! Before the start of this challnege I couldn't do a full one. Can you do half pushups? I worked on doing 3 sets of 10 of those to start with, then gradually adding one full pushup to the first set, then the second etc. Now I can do 3x6 full pushups after 5 and a half weeks. :)

Welcome to the rebellion, and if you have any more questions, just ask and there are loads of really knowledgable folks around here who can help you!

Couch to 5k program? Sounds interesting. I will look more into it and definitely try it.

Thanks!

hi! welcome aboard.  you will find all sorts of helpful info here.  i've been following the primal lifestyle (mostly) for almost a year - feel free to message me if you have any questions - the Paleo/Primal board is a great place as well.

have you read Steve's article on learning to do push ups? Don't be ashamed - I can carry my 4 yr old around all day - but ask me to crank out 5 push ups and I wilt.  it takes some practice.  if you sign up for the next 6 week challenge (starts in a few weeks) - you could make that a goal.  

also - don't sell yourself short. you can be a triathlete if you work at it.  start saving little bits of $ now for a bike. unless you are afraid of the water - you can learn to swim in an hour. sounds like you have a grasp on the running part - so you are already 33.3% there.  

The 6 week challenge sounds great! A good start. Thank you!

I like the Doctor Who reference in your username! You can become I triathlete if you want to!

Haha yeah. I miss Ten!  :neglected:

I know. I'll have to work on my diet (and budget) first.

Thats what drew me to this post too.

Good luck with your training Allons-y. The hardest bit is starting, but the best part is seeing all your improvements. When it comes to push ups, its amazing how quickly you can build these up, you can start by doing knee ones to build your strength and then progress from there. 

Thanks Marc!

Starting is hard! But I think I have enough motivation to make it through and let it become a lifestyle. :rapture:

I also take much longer than most to improve my running. I trained forever before running my first 5k and still came in behind a friend that had been training less than half the time I had. It will get better though! I found my major problem was in diet and recovery. Learn to swim! I didn't learn until I was 25! Anyway, just keep pushing, and welcome to the rebellion! 

I guess everything just takes practice. 

I will try to learn to swim soon! I want to focus on diet, long distance running, and strength training right now. I don't want to half-ass a lot of things, I want to whole ass just those three. (Parks and Rec reference here, anyone? :playful: )

Thank you, everyone for the push-up advice! Haha. I hope I get better!

I just did my first 5K.  It was ColorMeRad.  I can't decide if I recommend it or not.  It was quite fun and I felt like a kid doing it.  However, the stupid grown up in me thinks that it is actually a little dangerous for people to be breathing in dyed cornstarch.  My lungs felt like I had just left a smoky bar.  If you do it, wear a mask.  That works.  Now I feel comfortable suggesting it.  :)

Archived