Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebel, trying to get on track

Greetings Rebels,

Even though I've been following the Rebellion for about a month now, I'm considering today day 1. Today is the day I decided to stop lurking in the shadows and get serious about this. In Jan 13 I decided I no longer wanted wanted to look down and see my gut and started working out, and found the Rebellion in mid Feb. Since then I've done fairly well - at least 4 days a week in the gym, usually 5 or 6 though, lost about 17lbs and gotten a bit stronger. Last 2 weeks I've hit a bit of slump though, and need to stay motovaited. Harder to eat well and less motovation in the gym, and I need to get back on track. So here I am.

My personal goals are to get down another 10lbs or so, 10 pull ups in one set, run 1.5 miles in around 12 mins, and to get rid of my gut. Nothing too crazy, but thats what I'm shooting for.

Things to overcome or find a way around - 12-16 hour a day job, 6 days a week; love of fried food, and living in hell (another spelling for Kuwait).

I'm here for the long haul, and I keep telling myself its not a race and there is no big finish. This has to be a lifestyle change, not a 6 month cycle. Every day I want to be better than I was the day before.

If you've got any advice, comments, questions, or gripes, I would be happy to hear it.

Thank you all for the support!

Walter

Level 1 Human Ranger (1 April 13)

STR 2, DEX 3, STA 2, Con 3, WIS 3, CHA 2

Just starting down the path.

Hi. Welcome.

My newest slogan is slow and steady and it isn't a race.

Curious how your humor is? If you can chuckle at yourself (at least that's what I do when I use this tip), Steve put up an article about DO It Now. You may have already seen it. It gets me up and out from behind the computer and moving. Is there movement to be had during your work? Can you fit short intense exercises during a quick break or lunch if you even get one?

There's a challenge coming up in two or so weeks. This would be a great time to decide what you're willing to do for yourself. And ask around, Rebel Nerds are here to help.

Good luck.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Well!!I am newbie on this community.I wanna join to this community.I just found this forum at

Google and I think it will be a great use if we can share knowledge.Such a nice and

informative sharing ideas.So i welcome to the already member of this community.

Terinatum,

Thanks for the response! I'm a big fan of humor, regardless of who its aimed at. I try to get up and move around every chance I get. Usually its just to walk around and check on people, but if no one is around I'll do some quick exercises. My problem is that usually I try to do way too much and end up getting burnt out. Trying to keep that from happening this time - which goes back to your first point "slow and steady, it isn't a race!". I already signed up (I think) for the challenge. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm sure I'll get my head around it before it starts.

Really looks like a great community here, and hope to become a part of it!

Well!!I am newbie on this community.I wanna join to this community.I just found this forum at

Google and I think it will be a great use if we can share knowledge.Such a nice and

informative sharing ideas.So i welcome to the already member of this community.

Akcent - thats why I joined as well! Everyone here seems great, and people's ideas seem really helpful.

Hey Walter,

You have likely seen these pages, but ...

The next challenge is April 15 - May 27 and the Challenge rules are here. Get someone to work with you on this page.

Just know that once you open up, on any of these threads, you'll see your personal challenges reflected back at you through other people's life stories.

Being a former Marine, I get the desire to learn everything possible to stay ahead of the curve. Unfortunately, like you are experiencing, I would always end up overextended and exhausted. So this challenge (my first) I took three habits and introduced them in two-week intervals. First - (at the start of the challenge) exercise everyday at least 5 - 10 minutes. Building the habit and joy of weight lifting. Second - (starting at week three) quit Dr Pepper. And Third - (starting at week 5) add veggies into my diet. It kept me from getting all excited about lifting (which I am) and load up on that and then not have energy to focus on quitting Dr Pepper and so on. I has been working pretty well. Perhaps this will give you some ideas for your goals.

If you want me to look over any ideas you may have, just PM me.

Cheers, T    :smiley_simmons:

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Archived