Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from Chicago!

Howdy folks! I'm a 26 year old web development nerd from Chicago. I've been meaning to join for a long time now, finally got inspired to by an incident at the gym. Here's the quick story:

About two months ago I started taking my diet more seriously. I guess you could say I'm doing a 'slow carb' diet, but basically I'm trying to stick to meat and veggies, saving carbs for after a workout. I realized I also need some muscle to go along with that fat loss, so I joined a gym with a 30 day free trial. I hate the idea of a room full of machines and meat heads, but with 30 days free, I've got nothing to lose...right?

My plan is to do a medley of olympic bar exercises: squats, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press, and deadlifts. But of course this gym has only 3 benches and 3 squat racks, which I patiently wait for every workout my first week. Second week, the waiting around for equipment is getting pretty old. I finally get a squat rack after waiting 15 minutes, but apparently some big dudes who were NOT waiting had their eye on it as well. So I load up my measly 75lb squat (just trying to work on technique before I push it too hard!) and these guys watch. In the middle of my squats one says to me "Hey man if you're only gonna squat 75lbs you should just use a machine". I finish and reply "I prefer the bar, machines don't really work your muscles the same way". They give me the eye brow, walk off, and I hear one of them say "resistance is resistance". ugh!!

So that night I went on craigslist, found a bench press with squat rack and olympic bar, and picked it up the next day. Got my money back at the gym, and can now work out on my own time and on my own schedule. (If you're wondering, I use steel sawhorses as safety catches when I bench and squat).

SO, now that I work out alone, I'm excited to be a part of this community and share my results with like minded people. Can't wait to see everyone else's progress and I look forward to getting in shape with you guys :)

Hey, nice! You made a plan, encountered obstacles, made a Plan B, followed through, and are now on your way to awesome. I like it!

Definitely, you can accomplish some incredible things with nothing but a squat rack and barbell. Don't forget to add some planks and other corework! You don't want your weakest link to be your spine.

Welcome aboard!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Yeah eff those guys...they didn't know what they were talking about...having big fluffy muscles doesn't mean they are athletic or strong....anyway I hope you like a whole lotta awesome for free cuz it just so happens I got plenty to give out...sorry, I have those moments. Welcome though.

1. Revolving Circle Plank (Of Doom) is a great place to start. Takes 3 minutes. Only hands and feet (or knees if you're starting out, or raise 1 foot if you're really advanced) should touch the ground at all:

30 second front plank

30 second side plank to the left

30 second back plank (So you're facing the sky. Great for shoulder mobility as well)

30 second side plank to the right

1 minute front plank.

2. Bridges

(I can't hear audio, but thats the exercise!) are also fantastic

3. as are supermen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGkasjUf9Q&feature=related (you can also flutter kick your opposite arm and leg, for a variation on this)

You don't need to do all of them all the time (I do, but core and spine health are my thing. Very important for yoga), but do at least one with every workout to keep your body progressing evenly.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins