Forums are back in action! ×

How long does it take to get to the ever elusive pullup….

That is so great!   I can hold myself up now....not that long though.....  maybe I am progressing...just s.l.o.w.l.y.....

About 2 months for me. I was still a little over 300. I tried couldn't budge myself off the ground so I tried negatives, couldn't hold it at all, fell right to the ground and hurt my back. Got kind of obsessed with it. Bought a home pull-up bar and everytime I walked by I would attempt it. Would get maybe an inch closer everyday. Eventually I could hold myself up so I started negatives. Then one day I decided to go for it again, screamed like crazy at the bar and finally got over. Now I can do sets of 3 usually with a personal best of 6 in a row.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.....  Yesterday I used a step and jumped up over the bar and held as long as I could.  The good news is - I held it longer than before - the bad news - it isn't very long.    I am going to try the chair and keep working on strength....   I will not be defeated...I will beat the bar!

The chair adds some great assistance, especially when it comes to form, which is where your concentration should lie. Nail your forms and the reps come naturally. 

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!†― Hunter S. ThompsonLevel 2 Wood Elf RangerSTR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 3 CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

I'll take a picture tomorrow- I have dance class tonight.  I will get someone to help me out and get it set up so you have some good ways to do it- and also some good smith variations. 

I don't know much about the ring muscle up, but on a bar a negative is WAY harder than the positive.  On the way up you pull as explosively as possible and make the transition in a near weightless state (at least for the easier variations).  On the way down that isn't possible

Yeahhhhhhh 

definitely learned that the hard way Sunday.

I had a friend help me up by holding my ankles (he should have held my feet- but I don't think he had assisted anyone w/ that type of thing before LOL- I think I made him a little uncomfortable!)

anyway I sort of got it- going to start working with a TRX- see how it goes :)

On a bar, the negative is easier when you go chicken wing style (one arm at a time), holding yourself up with your lower arm. It seems like it kills two birds with one stone, one arm gets the muscle up negative, the other gets an assisted one arm pullup negative. The two in combination makes it at least somewhat workable.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Realistically it took me about 3 years. Or a year and a half of consistent trying.

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

This post has made me feel so much better. If Stacy took so long in doing them - what with being a powerlifter - then I don't feel so bad about not being able to do one.

Lots of good information in this thread. Thanks for making it.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

On a bar, the negative is easier when you go chicken wing style (one arm at a time), holding yourself up with your lower arm. It seems like it kills two birds with one stone, one arm gets the muscle up negative, the other gets an assisted one arm pullup negative. The two in combination makes it at least somewhat workable.

hmmm mk- I have elbow flare issues- and I'm not sure where they should be- the whole process actually just felt weird and kind of uncomfortable (probably because well A. it is and B. I'm completely unused to the movement)

baby steps though- baby steps. 

Good I'm glad it helped- you can adjust the height as you need to obviously.  i have a friend who can't jump to get the bars- use a chair to get up there- then position your foot.   And use your leg to control how much help you need (so as you tire- you rely more and more on your foot) 

:)

just keep practicing- really pull ups just take a lot of consistent daily/weekly work.  

Archived