Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, its me!

So I guess the thing to do is to start a thread to introduce myself.

I'm a 24 year old woman, and I currently live in Los Angeles, CA. I split my time working as a freelancer in film and advertising (though recently I've decided to pursue a full time position in advertising). I love almost all athletic endeavors (including but not limited to: running, soccer, triathlon, surfing, snowboarding, ultimate frisbee, rock climbing, hiking). Despite being pretty active I've always had nagging body weight issues. At 5' 4" and 165lbs I don't really like what I see in the mirror. And ya know what? I'm sick of it, I want to get in great shape, I want to feel more comfortable in my own skin, and stop worrying about it all the time, I'd much rather spend my mental energy thinking about fun things instead of my waist line. I've come to terms with the fact that I can run a 1/2 Ironman (yes, I did that, I know I'm crazy) but that if my diet is out of wack, its not going to make a difference. 80% diet they say.

Last night (maybe with the help from a bottle of wine) I found this site, got super motivated and wrote out a list of goals and ways to "level up my life." I've tried to do the get really healthy thing before, but always faded out. Now I feel like I'm ready! I'll be 25 in July and I'd like to be well on my way to being in the best shape of my life. Plus, I'll be posting weekly updates on here and using the "lift" and "MyPlate Calorie Tracker" apps to keep myself in check daily. If I fail during one week I fully welcome anybody to call me out on it. Or alternatively if you just wanna say hi and chat... that's good too!

So without further adue:

Goals:

Weight: from 165 to 135 (or 20-22% body fat)

Running: 5k in under 27mins, 10k in under 60mins

Triathlon: Sprint tri in under 1hr 30mins, Olympic tri in under 3hrs

Work: Get a full time job

Rewards (Not food, I am not a dog):

New soccer cleats (155lbs)
New Swim suit (145lbs)
New Triathlon suit (140lbs)
New books (sub 27 5k)
New running outfit (sub 60, 10k)

Something fun for apartment/house (new full time job)

Means of achieving goals:

1) Eat Paleo (30 day challenge started 4.4.13)

2) Weight train 3-4x/week (Use the 12 week strength training program I downloaded)

3) Get back into tri/run training (incorporate interval training to help reduce times and weight ;)

4) Track calories

5) Weigh-in's 1-2 times a week under identical circumstances (Tues/Friday) also take progress photos.

Oh (since we're all part of a big nerd family), things I love: Firefly and Serenity, in fact most Joss Whedon things, film/cameras/lighting techniques.

Yeah, I think I'll do the guild challenge, but it doens't start for another two weeks so I figured I'd start now and then roll into the challenge once it starts :D

I think firefly is like a lot of scifi shows, in the sense that just because you're into one scifi thing doesn't mean you'll like them all. I (and I know this is dangerous to say) am not a big Star Trek fan myself.

Keep at it!

Those are some nice and challenging goals but if there is a will, then there is a way :)

Level 2 Blood Elf Warrior

STR  5.80 / DEX 4 / STA  4.4 / CON 1 / WIS 5.9 / CHA 3.25

"When you punch - you bring your arms up. When you step - you bring your feet up. And you must ALWAYS KEEP --- your heart up!" - Von Kaiser, Mike Tysons Punch Out!

Challenge 1 - I Lift Heavy Things To Put Them Back Down

Thanks! Yeah, after a few months of futzing around and not getting anything done I decided to crack down. I've never been much of a "to do" list person, but hopefully this will help.

Plus I really don't want to end another year not being where I want to be. Seems silly.

LA for film and advertising, huh? Maybe you know my buddy Kyle, he also does freelance filming out there. 

Anyway, I also wasn't really into Star Trek for a long time. That is, till my friend forced me to watch a bunch of them. I've been converted. 

Any other scifi you like?

Sandwich, level 1 Half-Elf. Training with the AdventurersSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 3

I really like your goals, very clear cut. What is the 12 week strength training program? I'm currently looking for one myself.

Leah, I've put the program that I'm following on my profile under an album called Work Out Ideas or something, feel free to check it out, so far I like it. Also the associated article is a good read. Best of luck!

LA for film and advertising, huh? Maybe you know my buddy Kyle, he also does freelance filming out there. 

Anyway, I also wasn't really into Star Trek for a long time. That is, till my friend forced me to watch a bunch of them. I've been converted. 

Any other scifi you like?

Sandwhich, what a quality name! Is your friends last name Leach? If not, then I don't know him.

Maybe I'll need to sit down and main line some Star Treck, but currently I'm planning to cancel my netflix and hulu subscribtions once the month ends so I can afford my rock gym membership. Priorities, bro ;) For me I nerd out about anything film and camera related, seriously, I can discuss and analyze film ad nauseum, its bad, and wonderful too. I guess I'm more into real life science than SciFi, I'd rather watch an episode of Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking than a Star Wars rerun.

Sandwhich, what a quality name! Is your friends last name Leach? If not, then I don't know him.

Maybe I'll need to sit down and main line some Star Treck, but currently I'm planning to cancel my netflix and hulu subscribtions once the month ends so I can afford my rock gym membership. Priorities, bro ;) For me I nerd out about anything film and camera related, seriously, I can discuss and analyze film ad nauseum, its bad, and wonderful too. I guess I'm more into real life science than SciFi, I'd rather watch an episode of Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking than a Star Wars rerun.

Thank you, glad to meet another appreciator of sammiches. 

No, his last name is Kolding. I'm not surprised, LA is a big place and so many people are there for film.

Wow, that really is dedication. Props for that. I've recently gotten into all the TEDtalks that netflix just put up, and watching them is just really more interesting right now than a lot of other things that are on there. Star Wars is a space opera, science is definitely not what it's aiming for.

And you sound like you would really get along with the friend that made me watch them. She analyzes tons more about episodes than I even consider and LOOOOOVES her some sci-fi. 

Sandwich, level 1 Half-Elf. Training with the AdventurersSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 3

Archived