Forums are back in action! ×

My name is Akirah and I'm new to NF. I spent the other night reading through so many articles and it was incredibly helpful. I am hoping this community will be a place for me to learn more, be encouraged, and held accountable.

I have a long story regarding my battle with weight loss. I was a chubby kid. My highest weight was 225 when I was a sophomore in high school. I decided to lose it and ended up losing 70 pounds in a pretty unhealthy way. I worked out multiple times a day and tried to eat only 500-800 calories a day. It worked, but definitely ignited some unhealthy views towards myself and losing weight.

Since then my weight has fluctuated between 148 and 165. Right now I am at 160. I would like to be around 145-150. Perhaps that isn't what my body wants, but I'm only 5'5", so I feel like my current weight is a little heavy. 

Anyhow, I started my most recent weight loss journey at the beginning of Lent. Since then I've been doing Jillian Michaels workouts and eating (mostly) paleo. It's a little frustrating losing weight so slowly...I'm used to quick results by starving myself. But I want to be transformed...physically and mentally. And I want to be truly healthy. So I know I need to work hard and be really patient. No quick fixes. Hubs says he definitely notices a difference in my body. It's just hard when the scale doesn't reflect that.

Sorry to have written so much. If you read it all, thanks. If you have any words of encouragement, thanks even more! :)

welcome!  I was about the same weight in high school and I tried starving but it just never worked.  I ended up ballooning up for years now and I just joined as well.  Lent is actually a good time to start a good habit since the length of lent is long enough to enforce it (3 weeks to make or break a habit usually).  gl and even though the weight  comes down slow; since it's done the right way there won't be a massive rebound backwards.  life habits instead of a crash diet.  keep it up- maybe you will want to look at the challenges coming up?

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/challenges/6-week-challenge-rules-r15

You didn't write too much!  :)

This is your chance to share your story.  And I am sure several of us can relate.  I know that I can!  Although I didn't put on most of my weight until i was 19 or 20,  I was never small in high school.  Which, now that I look back on it, I would love to be that size again.  I have a long way to go to get back to that point, but Nerdfitness is the first thing that has gotten me really excited to do so.   

So welcome!  Are you planning on joining the challenge coming up soon?  They are just at the end of the current one, so you have time to make your goals.

I look forward to seeing you on the discussion boards!

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

well I haven't done it since I just got here(nextone starts aprl 15th i believe), but there's nothing intimidating.  it's just making your own challenges that you want to complete within 6 weeks.  everyone starts at the same time as a way to help boost each other's motivation.  for example, here's my *tentative* goals/challenges:

:
1) do shovelglove 5 days a week(with like 30ish jumping jacks for a warmup)= 3strength/2const
2) follow food/menu= 4 wisdom/1const
3) get to the gym twice a week for cardio= 4 dex/1const

I haven't done a challenge yet either.  But, I don't think there is anything to be nervous about.  :)

The best part is, you get to set your own goals!  

I have a theme for my goals, I wanted to keep it a little light-hearted for the first challenge so I went with a "Disney Song Playlist" challenge.  Each one of my goals is going to be loosely based upon a Disney song, or, the song reminds me of the goal I have.  I think this will help keep me in line.  

What kind of goals do you have for yourself?  If you aren't sure of your goals, there are tons of people on here that will help you make goals that you are comfortable with. 

But seriously, it's all about you!

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

This will be my first challenge too. I haven't set my goals yet. I'm such a failure freak. I've been to afraid to write them out, but I guess I better soon!

Echo- Cute idea with the songs!

Fairy-Nymph, left the world of Natural Powers to join the knighthood of the King

Pre-Adventurer

(STR) -1    (DEX) -2    (STA) -3 (CON) -4 (WIS) -3 (CHA) -3

Contents of bag: one fire flower

Welcome! Everyone has summed up the challenge pretty well. You pick a few goals you would like to hit in six weeks and do your best to reach them with everyone else there for encouragement. Best way to think of it is to think of one of your long term goals, the ones that you see taking years and years to reach, and thinking about what you can do to put yourself a couple of steps closer to that.

I noticed that you mentioned that you're trying to lose weight but the scale isn't telling you anything good. A good idea that a lot of people do here, myself included, is to take a picture of yourself every so often for comparison. Changes can happen so gradually that you don't notice them, but nothing beats looking at an old picture and the new better looking you side by side.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

try the next challenge - you have nothing to lose - there is no punishment for not meeting your goals.  it is a great way to keep yourself on track.  and actually learn to set realistic goals for yourself.  i've got a few under my belt and I've failed sometimes and succeeded others.  the challenge will help you integrate into the NF community.

if you need any help with goals or getting signed up and into the challenge - just reach out. let us know!  there are always newbies.

you should consider the Adventurers Guild for your first challenge if you are focused on general weight loss and are a little hesitant about the whole process.  There are some great people in that guild and you will be in good company. But you are always welcome in the Druids...

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Archived