Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Dubai

Hi everyone.

My name is Francisco, I'm from Argentina, but I'm living in Dubai since a year and three months ago.

I work as cabin crew (or flight attendant, or steward, or trolley pusher :P) so my biggest challenge is to find a way to keep active no matter where I go.

So, I decided to write here to see if there's somebody in the same situation (or similar) and can give me some tips to get my body moving, without affecting my rest and job performance.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Welcome!

I don't have a similar path as you, but wanted to say 'come on in' the water nice. You'll find plenty of folks to give you ideas. Just poke around. Join a Profession. Keep posting. If I think of something, I let you know. Have you checked out some of the workouts (there's a hotel one and there's the Body Weight workouts which I love. Good luck.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

welcome.  I think there are workouts that can be done anywhere. (i vaguely remember the hotel 1 terinatum is talking about).  wish i had the link.  you could always make your own little equipment.  there's a whole section around these forums that are about DIY equipment.

Yes, I actually was doing the hotel workout during January, and a little bit in February.

Did it even at home, since I have a small gym in the building.

My next questions:

Is it enough doing just the "20 minutes hotel workout"?

Should I do another workout from time to time or just by increasing the reps/weight is enough?

Thanks a lot.

Steve emphasizes heavy weight, low reps. It gets you sweaty easy and quick.

I've seen a lot of folks here start with 2x or 3x per week and focus on good muscle healing and building the habit of working out. My first challenge I just asked myself to workout everyday for 5 minutes minimum just to get used to the idea of exercise in my life. I'm hooked.

Here's a great article that Staci wrote a bit ago.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hi Francisco,

I'm cabin crew in Dubai as well, I guess we're working for the same employer ^^

I thought it was a lot of hassle to try and stick to a workout when every hotel has a different gym, some don't have free weights, and sometimes the opening times are not adapted to our schedule. So I bought the book "You are your own gym" (actually I bought the female version "body by you" but it's kinda the same thing), since I thought it easier to stick with bodyweight workouts, and having to just find the adequate furniture in each hotel room, than having to deal with a different gym everytime. That way you can also schedule your workouts at a convenient time and can sleep when you want. The book has a programme with increasing difficulty so you can alter the exercises to make them more challenging once you master them.

I'm new to this as well so I hope it'll work out, but so far all the hotel rooms I've been to had appropriate furniture. If you have any tips yourself feel free to share :-D (especially on how to eat on board !)

Hi Brunehild, sorry it took me too long to reply.

My situation with food is difficult, since I rarely eat any vegetables or fruits and I find on board meals very nice. But, I don't eat more than one per flight.

I'll see if those books can give me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Terinatum, after January, I stopped working out and I've been hating myself.

I'll do little bit, like you started and that should get me moving again. Thanks for the idea.

It shouldn't be so hard to work out 5-10 minutes a day

Archived