Forums are back in action! ×

Juice! The introduction

Hi, Rebels,

I'm here to introduce myself and proudly join the Nerd Fitness community.

I spent most of my childhood overweight, steadily becoming obese in my early teens. This was due to a combination of minimal exercise, readily available frozen foods at my house (thanks, Costco), snack machines at school, and loads of excuses. Anyway, at the age of 15, I ballooned to over 210 pounds (that's a lot for a kid who stands 5'7" tall).

One summer, I joined a tennis camp. Aside from all the running involved in playing the sport, the coaches had us do laps around all 16 courts as well as punishing rounds of suicides (interval training!) throughout the day. The first few pounds started coming off, and I was inspired to start running on my own. That was also when I became aware of the "low carb" craze, and I ate carbs more reasonably, switching from breads and white rice (I'm Vietnamese) to fruits and whole grains.

After three months, I lost about 60 pounds, weighing in at a healthy 150. So began my lifelong obsession with fitness...

Over the next decade, I dabbled in weight training, joined the crew team in college, surfed for a few years, and got into rock climbing. There were times when my weight went up and down, and I regained 10-15 pounds over some months of the year, but I always seemed to remember how I lost all that weight that one summer and, through those activities, find my way back to being fit.

Several months ago, while rock climbing, I developed tendonitis in both my elbows and sprained one of my legs during a fall, and this prevented me from being too active. Then, the holidays came around - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and, for me, the Lunar New Year, and I happily stuffed my face with each of the feasts my family made.

Thus, I'm back to being a little pudgy again. I realize that some of the things I had been attracted to in the past require a large commitment of time and money, which often clashes with the rest of my schedule and budget. I've decided to quit climbing, which took up as much as four hours per session, and focus on a more time-efficient way to stay in shape.

This is me (and my messy ass room) now:

2nq61iq.jpg

5'9, 160 lbs

I had been reading Steve's blog here and there and, after doing the Beginner Bodyweight Routine for a few weeks, became hooked on his simple, minimalistic, and honest approach. I bought the Rebel Fitness guide last week and have decided to start the Level 2 Recruit workouts this week.

My goals:

Lose 10 pounds

Reduce body fat to 6-7%

I'll keep you guys updated with my progress. I'm excited to start my Nerd Fitness journey and become a productive member of this community.

For the Rebellion,

Justin

Archived