Forums are back in action! ×

Angry Birds - More difficult planks?

I'm a few weeks into the Angry Birds workout. I'm new to focusing on strength (I'm that guy that was spending waaaay to much time working out and getting nowhere with it).

As I work on my push ups and pull ups, I'm looking for some suggestions as to ways to make the planks more difficult, or alternative to planks. Or, should I just keep adding time (8 minutes, 9 minutes, etc. in 2 sets or less)?

My trainer had me put my feet on a bosu during planks last week. Normally I can get well over a minute, but couldn't do more than 35sec with my feet on the ball side of the platform. Also don't let your hands drift toward each other- maybe get a ball or stick to put between your palms. I'm not clear on the mechanism, but hands together seems to be a lot easier than hands parallel with the body.

Also, if you're doing 8 minute planks (8 minutes?!), add weight to your shoulders. Like wear a backpack or something. I can't imagine you're getting much work done in the first 5-6 minutes... however, if you're reading while planking then you might enjoy having that kind of time to finish a chapter :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Try a regular Plank, but with one arm. I don't mean Side Planks, but trying to keep yourself parallel to the floor. It's hard to do, and your obliques hurt like crazy the next day. You could try holding the Front Leaning Rest for time, which is basically the top position of a Push-Up too.

i always do planks with my arms on a body ball, feet on a bench. or the opposite (feet on ball, arms on bench)

though im a fan of alecto's suggestion :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I've subbed out planks for Pallof Presses - Check em out... they are tough as hell when you've set the weight high enough and have been wicked for improving my core rotational strength (Which means basically anytime I go to throw anything I've been throwing them faster).

Very similar in nature to a plank as well (in that it is also an isometric core exercise)

You do however need equipment (either a cable machine or resistance bands and something to wrap the bands around (like a light standard or a stop sign)

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Lift one arm. Lift one leg. Lift opposite arm AND leg. Hold plank in front of a post, and smack the post with alternate hands - works your stabilizers to keep your balance through abrupt movements. Also do side planks and reverse planks, they hit your core muscles in different ways. If those are too easy, again, lift a leg.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Planks with mountain climbers. I did these in Cage Fitness. You do a plank on a raised object - in Cage Fitness it's the heavy bag you work with...so about 1' off the ground. While in the plank on that platform, alternate bringing your knees to your chin. Brutal.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

My trainer had me start planks with my forearms on a bosu (with a water bottle between my hands lengthwise so my hands couldn't come together) then do "spiderman" climbs- knees to the outside instead of under the body like mountainclimbers. The sessions ended with my sweaty arms slipping off of the bosu, and my face planting square in the middle of the ball. I attest to the suckiness of this family of variations- you might not slip all the way off of a heavy bag, so that might be a better option.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Gowaduv, while I'm sure that sucked bigtime, the mental image is kind of fantastic.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins