Forums are back in action! ×

Hunting the White Whale

Hello everyone

I´ve been following Nerd Fitness for about a year now, and some things have happened that have been the final push I needed to complete my leveling up and working hard to enjoy a better life.

I´ve been stuck on 220 pounds since last December (I´m 25 years old and 6´ 2´´BTW), my diet has been an on and off affair since then, not gaining weight but also not losing any and I am fed up with that.

I had some problems with booze in the past which I thankfully have put behind, I am not completely sober but I no longer need alcohol to numb feelings or feel better about myself, I ended a destructive 4 year old relationship which was keeping me down and I said screw you to the rat race and started my own business, which is not thankfully on it´s course to something big.

However, in recent days my new girlfriend had to go to the hospital because of severe abdominal pain, resulting in a week long stay. Thank God she´s ok now but it made me put things in perspective and really take a look on what I want from life. I also finished reading Lance Armstrong´s "It´s not about the bike" book and I am completely sure this is the time for me to step it up and quit messing around.

So, I´ve decided to lose the last 30 pounds keeping me from the weight I want to reach and quit smoking for good. I am now swimming everyday and lost 5 pounds already in week and a half, planning on getting on some strength training in the next few days. I also cut down on the smoking, going from 12-14 cigs a day to just 8. Using the livestrong quitting app I plan to reduce to 0 on April 30.

I will enter the next 28 day challenge and I will succeed. I never want to see myself in some hospital bed suffering and I want to be the best damn men I can be.

And why Nerd Fitness, well, I have a Darth Vader hoodie that goes extremely well with my darth Vader sneakers.... and that´s just the tip of the iceberg, I´m sure the rest of my geekiness will come afloat eventually.

My mantra for this new life is Moby Dick, my perfect life is my White Whale. Which I will chase down relentlessly and obtain, or die trying.

Cheers everyone

Darth man, pleasure to meet you! Sounds like you have the will to make some seriously awesome changes. Speaking as a former smoker, I approve! What kind of strength training are you planning to do? Weights are definitely a favorite of a lot of people here, but it's amazing what you can accomplish with bodyweight exercises. Do you want to be an acrobat or strongman?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Thank you Knight & Bear, it´s good to be here for sure.

And Alethea (I love your nick BTW), I have he will to make the changes needed to live a better life and I believe the support of all you brothers and sisters will help quite a bit.

Now, for strenght training, I played football back in high school and college (I´m from Mexico BTW) and I know my way around the gym, however I have a real screwed up shoulder from a training injury, it keeps poping out whenever I try to seriously come back to lifting weight, so, I decided to give body weight a try. I have been doing push ups and crunches for the last 2 weeks, about 250 of each weekly, but I will get more serious about it and try my luck with different exercises. Any advice on what should I try first?

Cheers