Forums are back in action! ×

Still Very Sore from First Workout. Should I Still Lift Today?

Toast

I finally went to Life Time Fitness Friday and did quite a bit of lifting. I did chest press, lat pull down, squats, shoulder press, rows, assisted dips, and leg extensions and curls. I had a headache the whole time there and was on the verge of throwing up after about 50 minutes of working out, so I just left after the leg stuff. I have a strong belief I had about a 10 second convulsion when trying to sleep Saturday night. I had a long explanation of why I believe this but I accidentally deleted it so I'll just answer any questions about it. When I woke up Sunday, I was very sore, so sore that I could hardly move my arms or legs without having pain.

Now, I still have a lot of pain today (Monday), especially in my lats, and I was planning on lifting today. Should I still lift today?

how much working out were you doing before Friday?

I think doing absolutely nothing would probably be the worst thing to do- but tell us a little more about what you were doing prior to Friday and what kind of fitness level you'd describe yourself as... that'll help.

Even if you do lift- I'm not sure I'd do ALL that stuff you listed above- what's your typical workout break down- or is this your first workout EVER.  Because that's quiet a lot to do in one session if you aren't used to working out. 

DOMS suck a lot.  They'll go away with time, but here's the question--will a painful and less than stellar workout today put you off from doing another workout down the road?  If you think it would, sacrifice today for the bigger picture.

Alternatively (and this is what I do) when I'm too sore to actually work out in a meaningful way, I get the empty bar and work on form; you're still moving, your body is still learning what it's supposed to do, but it's (most likely) not going to cause massive pain the next day.

And there's always mobility work, walking, playing with a KB, etc.

Yes

That is how I feel... if you have a plan stick to it, and modify it to accommodate current struggles as they happen... but you may find that you can still do your planned workout no issue, and that will be worth more than skipping a workout cause you are sore.  Soreness will go away, routines last forever.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

how much working out were you doing before Friday?

I think doing absolutely nothing would probably be the worst thing to do- but tell us a little more about what you were doing prior to Friday and what kind of fitness level you'd describe yourself as... that'll help.

Even if you do lift- I'm not sure I'd do ALL that stuff you listed above- what's your typical workout break down- or is this your first workout EVER.  Because that's quiet a lot to do in one session if you aren't used to working out.

Oh my opening post is a little confusing isn't it? I just copied and pasted this from my intro thread and expected it to be okay.

Well when I was in high school a typical workout would be 120+ lb bench presses, 65+ lb shoulder presses, 120+ lb shrugs, bicep curls, tricep extensions, squats, band rows, lat pull downs, sit ups, leg ups, and planks. I may or may not have excluded one or two things from the list depending on my energy.

For a personal opinion on myself, I'd say I'm not fat but not skinny (so in-between), and fairly weak. I've also been a terrible runner my entire life.

age unknown.

so high school was ??? years ago? 

for me I could do things I was in high school that I can't do now- but I have to be honest- me today would kick 15 year old me's ass.  And I was in stellar running shape.

All that stuff is nice to work towards if that's what you want to do- nice goals to work for- but really for now- you should be working form- and not jumping in head first- because this is exactly what happens- you get super sore since you haven't done anything in X years.... and then you put off your workout because you are too sore- and then you just kind of stop.

Don't over do it.  Pick a few things to work on and work those.  Doing a whole rotation like that esp if you haven't been doing anything is WAY too much (I think) 

Christ, for some reason I'm assuming everyone read my intro thread.

I'm currently 19 years old and was in High school just last year. I stopped working out a little less than a year ago.

All that stuff is nice to work towards if that's what you want to do- nice goals to work for- but really for now- you should be working form- and not jumping in head first- because this is exactly what happens- you get super sore since you haven't done anything in X years.... and then you put off your workout because you are too sore- and then you just kind of stop.

Don't over do it.  Pick a few things to work on and work those.  Doing a whole rotation like that esp if you haven't been doing anything is WAY too much (I think)

You're right. I don't know why I thought I could handle the workout I did. I mean, I felt fine during the workout (despite having a massive headache and the urge to puke), but then after that everything turned to shit.

Convulsions = bad. Go easy, and seriously think about seeing a doctor.

But doctors are so expensive... Anyway, I've already tried getting my parents to put me through a colonoscopy before and that didn't work. They're not very keen on seeing doctors unless it's absolutely necessary.

sure doctors are expensive- but I can tell you when they cart your ass away in an ambulance to the ER- it's going to be even MORE expensive.  

that's like people who complain motorcycle gear is expensive- as if a 150$ dollar leather jacket is MORE expensive than a trip to the ER and the MONTHS of physical therapy and probably litigation you'll have to go to. yeah- sure... okay.

Take care of your self to start with and you'll save yourself a lot of time and money. 

Archived