Forums are back in action! ×

Weirded out looks from gym goers

I've been doing a mass number of pull ups/push ups/dips lately, and I decided that I wanted to try to change up the workout and put the BW into a maintinence phase and build more raw strength, so this past sunday I went to the gym for the first time to find out a few bench marks for my BW+Weight workouts.

The pull up bar is near the bench press station and there just so happened to be a couple fat guys working on chest and bis.

Anyway, when I wrapped a 45 pound chain around my waist and stepped up to the pull up bar they were looking at me like "lol".

I got 7 reps then 5 reps with that big ass chain!

New goal: 3 sets of 10 with 45 pounds.

Nicely done! I'm the guy in the gym who grunts and yells, so I'm right there with you getting weird looks :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

The only time you'll have competition for the squat rack is when guys are using it to do bicep curls. hahahaha

congrats man, that's awesome - and I agree...I don't think there's anything more awesome than doing weighted pull ups in a crowded gym of chumps (no offense to chumps). makes you feel like a total badass.

well done sir.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

When I was lifting weights today, I was watching other people between sets and had a thought. Pussies. I may only be able to bench 85 pounds, but at least I can do it without the help of a machine to stabilize me. I feel a little bad about my negativity, there, but... it feels so true.

I've not been in an actual gym in ages. What the crap is used to bench other than a bench?

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

That's dumb. Half of the fun is pulling it off and trying not to wobble. Also, according to Wikipedia

Researchers at Drake University, Iowa tested the premise and found that lifters were able to lift greater amounts on free weights than they were on a Smith machine. As reported in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, bench press strength was about 16% higher for the free-weight bench press as compared to the Smith machine bench press.

Which is more awesome b/c I live fairly near the Drake University Campus. I'm pretty sure they know what the heck they're talking about also, since it's home of the Drake Relays, which have been around for 100 years and is now one of the most important meets in the US.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

The only time you'll have competition for the squat rack is when guys are using it to do bicep curls. hahahaha

I had someone ask me a few weeks ago how much longer I'd be using the squat rack... and i had just started, so asked him what he'd be doing to see if he could work in...

he then admitted to me he just wanted to use it for curls because he liked the mirror set up there.

i took my time :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”