Forums are back in action! ×

Hi All.

I am a writer and a father of three who spent the better part of his 30's sitting in a chair. My exercise in the 21st century has mostly consisted of chasing children around the house. I'm on the verge of needing blood pressure medication. My doctor said I'm still at a place where if I choose to be healthy NOW I could stave off the beta blockers or whatever. So I'm making the choice!

I joined Nerd Fitness today because I'm a total nerd (I write vampire and zombie novels for a living), because I like the philosophy on the site, and because I'm excited to find a community I can talk to about this stuff.  

I look forward to interacting with you while we all support each other on the road to good health!

Hello Max Power!

I've downloaded two fitness apps that looked fun to me and I've started with both. One is Gorilla Fit (a simple program of body weight exercises) and the other is the amazing Zombies Run! The Gorilla Fit program starts out easy and progresses so it's working out for me. Thus far, I'm not in good enough shape to run the entire Zombies Run missions so on the first ones I've done I've combined running and walking, with the aim of increasing the amount of running I'm doing each time until I can run for entire missions (about 40 minutes of running).

The zombie run app is fun, I used it for a while, although I always used it for walking, running's not really my thing.  I haven't heard of the gorilla fit app, but if it's working for you then I'd say it's a good deal!  Keep it up man!  

What does your diet look like?  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

welcome!  my g/f is in a similar situation that if she doesn't make some big changes she's gonna be on medication too.  will you be starting the 6-week challenge next week?  Also, you write zombie/vamp novels?  Please don't tell me your undead 'sparkle'.

The zombie run app is fun, I used it for a while, although I always used it for walking, running's not really my thing.  I haven't heard of the gorilla fit app, but if it's working for you then I'd say it's a good deal!  Keep it up man!  

What does your diet look like?  

My old diet: attempts to eat healthy mixed in with chocolate bars and doughnuts and frequent snacking on anything and everything. This needs a big change.

I am going to enter the next 6-week challenge and some of my goals will be to record what I eat and spend time meal planning. I'm really intrigued by the meal plan presented in this

and am using it as a guide starting today!

welcome!  my g/f is in a similar situation that if she doesn't make some big changes she's gonna be on medication too.  will you be starting the 6-week challenge next week?  Also, you write zombie/vamp novels?  Please don't tell me your undead 'sparkle'.

Yes! I will do the challenge. I'm excited. My older brother was in a similar situation to me (and your g/f). At one time, he weighed over 200 lbs and had pre-hypertension. 

He turned into a gym rat and recently told me that he's convinced adding regular exercise is the most important thing he did in his life. His blood pressure readings are excellent now.

I'm happy to tell you my undead don't sparkle at all. Here's a link to my author page.

Archived