Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy - I'm a newbie

Hello!  I am so glad I found this site!  I am a 49 year old single parent of two boys (we rock the geekiness!)  I have run out of excuses for not taking care of myself.  It was during a moment of "geesh, I have GOT to find something that will work for me!" that I actually googled "fitness for nerds or geeks."  Any yay!  Here I am!

I am educating myself on the site about paleo eating and beginning body-weight training.  I have half-started a couch-to-5K but am now motivated to get back off the couch.  Even my boys have agreed to work out with me since it's all nerd- and geek-related!

I work full-time and my boys play soccer, have meetings, music, etc.  Excuse, excuse, excuse.  I will just have to get up at the butt-crack o' dawn and get it done!  I'm praying for the morning goddess in me to awaken!  Where is that chick from Themyscera with that golden lasso thing?

I totally agree with the big message here of FIND WHAT MOTIVATES YOU.  I think for me it is to embrace my geekiness and become fit in order to enjoy ComiCon with my boys for my big 5-0 next year, and to be fit for life so I can be around not only to see them become awesome geeky men, but so I can enjoy the next phase of my life.  Shoo them out of the nest and I will hit the road, looking for adventure!  Who knows; I may get so energetic and uber-fit that I will kick major butt at work, make loads of money, travel to distant lands and find a time portal.  It could happen!

To that end, I intend to get on track with the C25K, do the bodyweight exercises, and within a month find an early morning gym or buy some heavier dumbbells.  (I have the baby ones.)

I LOVE comic books, Firefly (a curse on Fox for cancelling that series!), Doctor Who, Joss Whedon, etc.  I've tried my hand at videogames, which I enjoy, but my children run me off because of my level of suck. 

I am looking forward to being a part of the Rebellion!!

Good luck with starting the a.m. workouts. That's always a rough one for me too. 

If you have a smart phone, I love my sleep tracking app (I have an Android phone, so I use Sleep as Android). It tracks your sleep cycle based on movement and sound and wakes you up when you're in a lighter part of the cycle (this means sometimes you get up earlier than you had set your alarm for). But I feel so much more awake and rested using it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep&hl=en

welcome! you will love it here! and kudos for setting such high goals while being a mother! im new too and did two minichallenges to practise for the one starting on the 15th. it was a big help to a) have smart goals and an intelligent plan and B) get so much support from the others. good luck, and see you around!

Archived