Forums are back in action! ×

Today is Day 1

Hi all,

I am excited to finally get started on Nerd Fitness and for the new challenges to start also.  I have been reading the articles here for a few weeks and have been trying to slowly adjust my diet toward a semi-paleo one with some success.  I have lost about 4 pounds so far but my goal is feeling better and getting into shape over weight loss.

I'm a 38 yr old, 6'2" 190 pound football coach for an NAIA school and tend to supervise a lot of exercise (and even teach a weight training class) but never take the time to exercise myself.  I used to be active outdoors with hiking and hunting and with hockey year round but over the last 4 years or so that has really been pushed aside as coaching becomes a bigger drain on my time.  My biggest issues currently are dealing with the frustration of starting a program from scratch after in the past working out and knowing that I can't lift the same weight I used too.  The other issue is being a little limited on my lifting due to three knee surgeries so no more squats or high leg impact exercises like box jumps.  I still run some and jog a little so all is not that bad.

I love the leveling system here and it is totally what will motivate me to get into shape and eat right.  I'm a big time Star Wars nerd and love all the RPG's I can get for XBOX.  Currently am loving XCOM for the strategy side of it.  

I finished my first workout today and successfully ran on the elliptical for 20 minutes after doing a warmup and 50 jumping jacks.  Tomorrow I plan to lift weights for upper body.

Fosetu - Human Assassin - Level 1 - 4 STR, 3 DEX, 3 STA, 2 CON, 2 WIS, 2 CHA.

Woohoo! :D I know how you're feeling. It's hard when you used to have a steady routine and were in shape to figure out where to start, because you can't do what you could before. Good luck!

Thanks!  I am working on just doing something and telling myself by end of summer I can get back to something like I used to lift.  Just have to keep at it!

welcome!  I'm excited about starting the 6-week challenge/leveling system too.  I tried xcom when it first came out but I sucked so badly at it.  keep up the good work.  gl and have fun.

Lol.  If you want to try XCOM again I could give you some tips!  Thanks for the encouragement and GL in your challenge also!

Football coach + Star wars and RPG nerd = this ex-history teacher's mind blown.

Just kidding. :)

Starting a program from scratch is tough, but you'll find tons of support and ideas here. Welcome!

Thanks. I have loved reading the articles so far with the workout ideas.  My wife likes to say that I'm a Star Wars nerd and a football geek!

Archived