Forums are back in action! ×

My introduction, getting back to fitness after injury, Good to be Onboard!

Hey Everyone,

My name is Bill.  I stumbled upon this awesome site through a link that I saw on Myfitness Pal forums, and after lurking for just a few days, I decided I needed to join this great community!

First, a little about myself, I’m a design/analysis engineer working for a massively huge company.  I spend 99% of my work time at my computer at my desk.  My hobbies and activities include soccer, camping, backpacking, autocross, and working on cars.  As for my nerd skills, I am an average video gamer playing when I have extra time.  I am a devoted scifi fan:  stargate (obv.), BSG, trek, star wars, firefly, etc, etc.  I also read scifi and fantasy.  I’ve even started to do some stargate cosplay at cons.

So that’s a bit about myself, I’ll add more geek details in my profile when I get a chance.  Now moving on to why I’m signing up for the rebellion.  Currently, I’m 5’11†207lbs, and not much muscle, and the past 6 years I’ve been on a fitness rollercoaster.  My weight has bounced back and forth between 200 and 230 about 4 times, losing weight and getting in shape to see it all stack back on again.  Fall of 2012, I was on another swing to return to fitness, when I tore my ACL playing soccer; I was 212lbs at the time.  I had ACL reconstruction surgery at the end of December 2012 (good thing the world did not end, I would have been quite angry), and have been doing physical therapy since then.  In addition to PT and Surgeon clearance, I told myself I needed to get my weight down to no more than 190lbs before I could return to playing soccer.  I’ve spent all this money on my knee and I need to reduce the stress on it.  Also, found out my blood pressure is way too high, and am now on medication to reduce that.

I started counting calories in February this year, and have been doing that along with PT and have gotten to my current weight.  Through using MFP, I found this site, and after reading through Steve’s Level Up Your Life articles, I was hugely inspired!  I still have the better part of my 30s to go, why should I be satisfied with just getting back to playing soccer.  There’s lots of cool stuff I still want to do, but I often just BS about it, and that’s not good enough anymore, I can do better.  By setting and achieving small life goals and getting healthy I can open the door to do the things I’ve always just talked about before.

So I’m signed on and ready to kick but for the rebellion!  I’m working on goals for the next 6 week challenge and also working on writing my own Epic Quest of Awesome (great title BTW).  I’ll also do my best to help out my fellow nerds whenever I can.  So wish me good luck, as I’m on this new journey to get back on the pitch, back on the trail, and off these blood pressure meds!

Human Ranger Level: 2

STR: 5 DEX:  3.5 STA: 2.75 CON: 2.5 WIS: 6 CHA:  5

Challenge #1

Archived