Forums are back in action! ×

Any rowers?

Does anybody else do any rowing (on C2's or on water) in their routines?

Just wondered if we could get a bit of camaraderie and competition going!

I've just started doing it again after a few months break and am heading towards 8mins for my 2km time. What does everyone else do? I know I'll be trying some interval training to help lose the spare tyre! :)

Rowing is a great workout for getting shredded. It was the exercise of choice of Gerard Butler for losing those final few pounds for 300. Wears you out like WHOA.

That being said, would love to try rowing on an actual boat instead of just on the machine in a gym...I think I'd enjoy it more.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I rowed for a few years after my rugby career ended. On the water rowing is a great technical sport that involves a maddening level of artistry. Some days I do miss it.

Erging is a means to an end, but is an excellent way to get fit.. that said it is not an intuitive device, and is something people really need to be coached to do properly.

That said 6x 500m with 90 seconds rest is one of my all time favorite workouts.

Steve, If you make it to Seattle I'll trade you a rowing lesson (on and off the water) for a NF t-shirt.

I rowed for a few years after my rugby career ended. On the water rowing is a great technical sport that involves a maddening level of artistry. Some days I do miss it.

Erging is a means to an end, but is an excellent way to get fit.. that said it is not an intuitive device, and is something people really need to be coached to do properly.

That said 6x 500m with 90 seconds rest is one of my all time favorite workouts.

Steve, If you make it to Seattle I'll trade you a rowing lesson (on and off the water) for a NF t-shirt.

I couldn't imagine doing it on water, I'd definitely be dredging for crabs! I'm building up to 5km again, did them last year and that was an excellent workout really feels like you've done something! I've done 4x500 with 60 sec rests and enjoyed doing a set where you do 4 mins of slower rowing then 5 really hard strokes, 4 mins 10 hard strokes, 4 mins 15 hard strokes and repeat it a few times.

I was a varsity rower for most of my college life! I super loved the sport and it was key to me losing 50+ lbs of fat. Best years of my life, easily.

Right now, unfortunately I don't have access to an erg at my current gym. Not that I miss it, but I definitely think that it's such a great tool for weight loss and condition. My best 2k erg is 6:54 minutes! Then I never broke 7 again after that haha, cripes.

Rowing is the one machine that I would love to try. Wish there was a gym with one within 70 miles of here... I've got a pond but I can't swim and there's giardia in the water if I fall in so I don't particularly want to try it on the water. When Iw as a kid I used to make rafts and go out on the pond but no more...

I was actually looking at rowing machines at the Sports Authority store in GJ. But before investing in one I'd really like to try it some to see if I like it well enough to stick with it.

Perhaps I should just keep watching the Shopper for one being sold cheaply.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I rowed competitively from when I was 10 till 21 and now I hop in a boat now and again and hit the erg at the gym occasisonally. It is absolutely a great way to get in shape, but boats are where it is at, the machines just help train. If you have access to rowing in a real boat, please don't be intimidated and give it a shot, if nothing else, it will teach you how to use the rowing machine most effectively.

One of my favorite erg workouts is you get a partner and do 500 meter sprints one after another (so you are pushing as hard as possible and then about 2 minute rest) let's say each person does 5, so you have a total of 2500 meters. Track your time for each piece and add them up- then compare to other teams.

Also, make teams of 8, have each person pull a 2k. Find the average time for each team (or boat) and see which team wins.

For me the peer pressure helps me push myself a lot harder. Anyone interested in doing either of these remotely?

I rowed competitively from when I was 10 till 21 and now I hop in a boat now and again and hit the erg at the gym occasisonally. It is absolutely a great way to get in shape, but boats are where it is at, the machines just help train. If you have access to rowing in a real boat, please don't be intimidated and give it a shot, if nothing else, it will teach you how to use the rowing machine most effectively.

One of my favorite erg workouts is you get a partner and do 500 meter sprints one after another (so you are pushing as hard as possible and then about 2 minute rest) let's say each person does 5, so you have a total of 2500 meters. Track your time for each piece and add them up- then compare to other teams.

Also, make teams of 8, have each person pull a 2k. Find the average time for each team (or boat) and see which team wins.

For me the peer pressure helps me push myself a lot harder. Anyone interested in doing either of these remotely?

Sounds like a plan. A bit of friendly competition would go down a treat. I'm just outside 8mins for my 2km time so I can't promise I'll be stiff competition for all you hardcore people though. :P