Forums are back in action! ×

My friend posted a link on her Facebook of the Rebellion and though I'm Empire I decided to take a look =)

Found a TON of information and felt more motivated to really put some goals out there and hey, it never hurts when you have other people aware of your goals to help motivate you on down days.

Back story - I'm 34 and long term wise before I'm 35 (Feb 2012) I've got a lot of work to do. Both my parents are on high blood pressure and high cholestrol meds. I was put on high blood pressure in Feb after some blood work. Let's say I was NOT happy with my numbers. I've cut out all soda and coffee (now since Feb 16th) and was put on a daily prenatal (no I'm not pregnant but I am apparently anemic). Fun times. March 15th I started working out. Now for some people they are able to really just jump into working out but I have to take it a bit slower. I started with three times a week since then either bike riding (3-4 miles) or walking (1 - 1.3 miles). I had a hip replacement due to a birth issue 3 years ago which I do baby a little bit, but at least I'm starting in the right direction.

Today was day 1 of the Beginner Body Weight Circuit. My short term goal is to be able to do the reps x 3 listed, to continue with no sodas or coffee and continuing on reducing sugar intake - oh and I'd LOVE to be able to do a pull up! (or 2). Thanks for reading :)

boooo Empire!

That's okay, you can still hang out here I guess :)

Hope the first day of the beginner body weight circuit worked out for you - just do what you can to do it a little bit better every other day, and within a few months you should be kicking some major ass.

Glad to have you here!

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Excellent attitude, Jax, and you've made great changes so far! I too dream of pullups, and applaud the goal! Kepp up with the babysteps of awesome.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

That's a prime sign of a good workout, right there! Also, extra highfive at your pic. Scubadiving ROCKS.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

Yeah.. my Facebook post tonight is pretty much: "F diamonds, epsom salts and a hot bath are a girls best friend".

Hoping I can still tackle those lunges and squats tomorrow morning

and heck yeah! Do you dive? I LOVE Scuba diving - another reason to keep working out - better endurance and air time under the sea!

Oh, the lower heart rate and more efficient oxygen use DEFINITELY come in handy. I did dive, not so much any more (so much fun, but rather $$) but would love to get back into it. There's a fair amount of freshwater altitude diving in the mountains near my place (drysuit diving in -15C is so much fun. People give you Looks), but did a diving week down in Belize a year ago or so, and it was the most fun I've ever had. Amusingly, I'm a terrible swimmer. You wouldn't think that's possible.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Yowzers! Coldest I've dove was 59F/15C off the coast of CA in 2009. Most of my dives are Florida springs with a few off the Florida coast in salt water.

I'll be also picking up a book call Yoga for Divers. Helps with stretching and some breathing exercises. I'm a great swimmer - need to be in salt water with currents down here.

My last dive was Oct last year (underwater wedding of my friends) but haven't had the $ to do it - so I understand :) Haven't yet to try dry suit diving, it's on my bucket list =)

Question on the body weight circuit... I'm actually not sure I'll be able to do my lunges / squats tomorrow after doing them for the first time on Wednesday. As a true beginner what is

to be expected as far as to how long until I can do what I was hoping to do after a day of rest? (Because my legs still hurt like the dickens!)

Oooh, I hear the diving in Florida is amazing! You're so lucky! Am saving up my airmiles right now to take a trip down next year. Drysuit diving is amazing, and funny as hell the first time you overbalance, all the air goes to your feet, and you end up stuck upside-down, twirling desperately in place. I actually certified in a drysuit, because I hate myself and like to suffer. Once you can control buoyancy in a dry suit, a wet suit is childsplay.

Rule of thumb for noobs is that you'll be at your sorest 2 days afterward. Sad but true. Your muscles are like "Arg, what are you doing to me?!" and don't have the hang of quick recovery yet. Fortunately, this only happens the first couple of times you do something new, and if you do a really good cool-down and stretch, it's less likely (gets the waste products out of your tissues so they don't linger and cause soreness). That said, if you power through it tomorrow, you'll actually feel BETTER afterward. It works the muscles and gets the blood flowing.

Just make sure you do a good warm-up so your muscles are ready to go before you start with the strength, since you'll be very stiff. Jog in place, knee raises in front of you, wave your arms in circles, dance like a maniac for a little while, just get that oxygen flowing to the muscles. Good luck!

- Seneca, 63 AD

YOU ROCK !!!

Seriously thank you lol - I tried the epsom salt bath tonight, helped a little but yeah... Will do my best to make it through my same two sets tomorrow that I did on Wednesday.

Florida diving IS wonderful - love both spring and salt - and even aquarium diving (yes you can at Epcot). Do you plan on diving while down here?

:P Animals are the worst. My cat attacks my ankles when I do yoga and lays on my back when when I do a plank. The brat.

and hell yeah I'm diving! You have to stick around now so I can ask you for the best places! :P

- Seneca, 63 AD

Deal! Workout #2 complete - lunges weren't my best - but my hip isn't overly fond of them on a good day =)

note to self while doing push ups and plank: tossing the dog toy first is a GREAT way to get a few seconds without the dog

kicking him out of the room didnt work, both roommates are still sleeping and he wines

Woot, highfive! I guess fending off the dog with 1 hand while doing a plank would be a great little extra core workout, but that wouldn't help with the pushups...

What bugs your hip about lunges? Inflexibility issue? Allow me to introduce you to mobility drills. Specifically, the Hip Opener:

. It takes 4 minutes to do. Ignore his random skating at the beginning, I think he's just showing off.

This guy does a different mobility drill every day, and a lot of people here make it one of their challenge goals to follow his drills from the beginning. I haven't done it yet myself, but found this one to be INCREDIBLY helpful. I just tack it on to the end of my workout.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Well more like toss the toy right before push ups and planks - not quite advanced enough for one-handed on either of those (yet) ^_^

I'll start checking that out and seeing how much I can add to my routines. My 24th surgery was 3 years ago and consisted of a complete right hip replacement. At the time of the surgery (well once I woke up) my doctor told me that some of my hip muscles were atrophied (exterior side muscles). So I have extra work to do without over doing it. On Wednesday when I did the lunges with left leg leading I can get right leg down pretty far - but when right leg is stability leg.. the left doesn't go down as far. I think a lot of it happens to do with the hip muscle strength and probably a good portion also being of lack of flexibility. Definately something to work on.

Hey Clawed and thanks for commenting :) In the past week I've been working on modifying my diet lots - not perfect but definately getting there. No sodas or coffee, only water and some milk with breakfast. Just since last Sunday I've lost 3 lbs which is kickass. I have TONS of energy and no more ups and downs during the day like I did eating carbs and garbage. Still needing to work on breakfast but I only have one so-so breakfast left so after Monday I should be on track.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup of a pumpkin/sunflower seed granola with 1 cup milk

Lunch: grilled chicken salad (was on a poker run / jeep offroad adventure and it's the one food stop we made)

Dinner: 1 cup chicken with 1/2 avocado

Snack: 1/2 cup chicken with salsa

87 ounces water through out day

Was a busy day yesterday, left house at 9 for the poker run / jeep offroad adventure, got home at 5 to shower and change and then went off to watch some MMA fighting.

By the time we got home at 11pm I was HUNGRY - so that's where the chicken and salsa snack came in.

Managed to climb 7 flights of stair yesterday while at the MMA fight including racing the roommate up 3 of them (I won!) lol and then spent about 15-20 minutes hiking while out at the poker run / off road bit as a friend lost something going up hills in the Jeeps and we performed our own search party ^_^

and Monday I'll start my workout / eating thread so my intro post doesn't reach too many more pages :P

Woot, congrats on your progress so far! So glad to hear you're enjoying the energy/weight loss of primal! FYI, "Primal" is a variation on paleo which allows dairy products (just try to get real cheese, not stuff made from "milk products", and aim for full-fat milk and cream). That's what I do, too. A world without berries and cream is a world I do not want to live in.

Ouch re surgery! That must be rough to recover from. Did you do physio/other rehabilitation program or just winging it? My favorite way to strengthen outer legs - laying leg lifts. Easy, surprisingly subtle (keep your hips stacked vertically, keep your foot/knee pointing forward) lots of variations when you get bored (circles, touch floor front and back, etc), and it works your hip flexibility at the same time, since you raise as high as you can. Not bad!

- Seneca, 63 AD

I think the replacement was the roughest - nothing like them sawing into and removing part of your gosh dern leg and then putting a piece of metal in there.. Ugh. On the brighter side - I have REALLY cool xrays now and I do set off metal detectors :P

I had therapy for several weeks after the surgery and still keep the list of exercises they gave me to do. I'm encouraged to do walking, bike riding and swimming of course. Running, roller skaking and horseback riding are no longer allowed however. Now, if I am being chased - then I will run. But I think most people with any sort of self preservation feel the same.

I'm working my way back up to full milk.. it's a process. Just like years ago it was a process to get down to fat free (ugh the lies!) Ha, so yeah currently back to 1% will shoot for 2% the week after - trying to rush the process a bit but hopefully it'll work.

and laying leg lifts are BEAST (well at least for my right leg) - but as strength comes - they will get easier =)