Forums are back in action! ×

Remember those muscles you have but don't use?

uh... now I do. They HURT! But it's that good kind. Was really wanted to do some bodyweight workouts, as it was in my challenge for this month. Hadn't gotten around to just sitting down and drafting some exercises, or just doing them. But on Tuesday, I had a really shitty day at, followed by a pretty fail Monday also, so a buddy of mine came over and was just like "WE'RE GONNA FREAKIN' WORK OUT!" I don't really know the names of the exercises but man, 4 sets of 10 of pushups, crunches, reverse (sort of) crunches, and I swear there was a 4th one but I honestly don't remember. I was pretty dead by that time each set. I think I'm going to add in squats.

That was Tuesday, it's definitely on my agenda again this evening after I get off work!

pushups

crunches

inverse things

squats

Still never really done anything other than pushups and crunches. I'm pretty pumped about some of these things that I never would have thought to try before and am really looking forward to Steve's new guide.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

Sweet, man, good job! I have to admit I'm very curious about your inverse things. If you figure out the name, be sure to share!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

My friend had referred to them as "Inverse Crunches" but I was reading another thread on here the other day and someone had talked about "Inverse/reverse crunches" and then posted a video of Steve doing them to clarify. This was NOT what I was doing, i.e. lying on your back and pulling you knees up.

It was basically lying on your back with your hands flat underneath your butt/lower back. Start with your knees up and bent at a 90 degree angle. o_|- and then extend your legs outwards o_/- until your legs are straight. He also gave me an alternate method that was more difficult, which was to have your arms spread out at your side and you hands spread apart on the floor. This, I guess works the stabilizing muscles in your arms. The exercise works your upper abdominals. They were pretty difficult but I really liked doing them, I think mostly b/c I'm really tall (6'3") and have long legs.

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

Hmm, from the sound (and the look--LOVE the ascii drawings!) of it, it sounds really similar to what's called the "double leg stretch" in pilates-speak anyway:

There's a variation thereof (or maybe it's a totally different exercise) where your legs stay completely straight, pointing straight up into the air, and then you lower them to a 45 degree angle or lower, then pull them back up with your abs. Absolutely brutal, and yes, will cause that level of soreness that feels so deep in your abs that it should be your back. :P

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

I've seen that called a lying leg raise modification, leg stretch or a reverse curl, as you said (reverse curl is used for a lot of things, though). Technically a lying leg raise is from:

o___ to o__/ , but it accomplishes the same thing to go o__| to o__/. it's just starting from a different (slightly easier for beginners) position, and it's awesome.

Good choice for core work! don't let your back arch when you straighten your legs - keep your core tight and try to imprint your spine onto the floor under you so it doesnt' curve.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hit em hard and hit em often. Do pull ups too, and BW dips as well. I had a full pullup/dip/push up routine going 5 days a week with anything from 70-150 pull ups a day, with x1 for dips on tuesdays/thursdays and x2 for push ups mon/wed/fri. Just don't let form suffer and you'll be ok. I got a 160 pound kid who can almost bench his bodyweight and never does the benchpress who is currently working his way to handstand push ups and gymnastics style strength training after two months of the pull up program. Just as long as you listen to your body during workouts (is it muscle soreness, or joint pain?). If it's muscle soreness hit em again, because you're doing the good work at that point. Also, I started doing weighted squats/deadlifts to supplement my BW work out which impressively led me to increase my pull ups by large numbers after a week and a half (I got +5 on a max set one week). Since then I've decided to start some compound movement weight training to supplement which so far has felt great, although I am seriously ready for my two rest days (5 on, 2 off schedule).

My evaluations of my performance this week were all positive, I was able to lift more weight than I ever expected to start off with, bodyweight workouts are impressive for building foundation strength.

Yup, is every other day sufficient? Or should I wait longer? This was done on Tuesday.

just listen to your body.

sometimes i wait 2 days in between working out the same muscle group. some days i wait three.

but in general, i work the same muscle group 2 days in a row all the time. :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

All I know is, we need a whole thread dedicated to ascii and paint exercise depictions. :D

That would almost be too much awesome to handle!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!