Forums are back in action! ×

Recommend fitness mat?

Heyo, I live in a small apartment, and have no gym membership but have been gearing towards bodyweight exercises. I have a hardwood floor (from like the 1900s) so I really need good mat to use. Can anyone give me a good recommendation? I just have a generic exercise/yoga mat right now, but I think an upgrade is in order. Perhaps something that has gripping feet so it won't slide?

Thanks!

"Tomorrow = Never"

Twitter | Thingist | Challenge | Squad

How big a mat are you looking for, and what do you want it to be made of? Also, are you planning on storing it when it's not in use, or do you want to keep it out all the time?

Rubber mats grip automatically, or if you get a foam vinyl-covered mat you can get a sheet of that rubber stuff they put under rugs and put that underneath the mat. The benefit of a yoga mat is you can roll it up and stash it in the closet, but thicker mats can only be folded, and some mats aren't designed to fold at all.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm not sure if you have Walmart here, but i got these foam interlocking tiles. They come in sets of four and end up being about 5X5 ft. I bought it to reduce noise (my downstairs neighbour is a crank) but it's also great for your knees as it's pretty springy.

I'm not sure what brand they are, it's Walmart's generic house brand.

The only thing is it does shift occasionally if you're REALLY jumping around, but i'm getting grip tape to cover that :)

They were very cheap btw. Like $12

Check out my geek girl website www.strangekitty.ca

I did see the interlocking ones, although I was at Target. But I guess I forgot to post in here after I tried out the mat I bought. It works out really well, but we'll have to see how it holds up. The only issue I foresee is possible tearing, since it folds. It seems to be pretty solid construction though.

Same here, i have to be careful that it doesn't get torn up by the cat though :)

Check out my geek girl website www.strangekitty.ca