Forums are back in action! ×

Funniest Fitness Moments

Okay, Gowaduv just posted an incredibly funny mental image of a plank fail. I also remember a rather amusing story about a time that Spezzy had a pushup mishap. I'll leave it to them to tell the stories. Have you done anything incredibly stupid? Seen anything incredibly stupid? Do tell.

My personal fail: Was doing yoga once after a long long gym session (strength AND cardio). My stabilizers were completely fatigued. Went to do Warrior 3 (i.e., This: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/941), lost my balance, tried to recover, failed, something went horribly horribly wrong, and I staggered a few paces and crashed right into my yoga teacher, knocking us both to the floor. She made me sit in childs pose for the next 5 minutes. Fail.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

1. Did a few Neutral Grip Pull-Ups on the contraption at Planet Fitness, and when I'm done this guy goes up to it, deploys the contraption you step on to make them easier, and cranks out 30 (literally) with the machine doing most of the work. He then gave me a smug look.

2. Getting looks while I'm squatting from curl monkeys on the same day as #1. I tested how many I could do at 135 since that was my previous max, and did enough to think I could do 185. When I loaded it up, they gave me looks like "ohshithiskidsgonnakillhimself" and started chuckling amongst themselves waiting to see the crash. Managed to get two, which was the amount of times I did 135 the week before. Disappointment for them, good for me.

3. On the same day, in the middle of an Overhead Press, this guys asks me how many sets I have left, while I'm in the middle of trying to get the weight up a second time. I say I have one more left when I finish. After I finish, I go, and 5 minutes later I see him struggling with 135 Pounds Deadlifting. Thanks for nearly killing me for nothing. The Overhead Press I was doing was only 20 pounds off of what he was Deadlifting, and nobody but me, him, and some other guy ever uses it, so it's not like he had a long wait to begin with. (Not to be mean if Deadlifting isn't your thing, but just the way he asked in the middle of a lift pissed me off. Like, I was struggling and a voice from behind me just asks me a question out of nowhere. I might as well have been doing a brisk walk to Chuckles, it wouldn't have mattered.)

4. At Future Soldiers, this cocky kid walks in 5 minutes after we start PT, and a Recruiter announces him as: "This is Isaac he's gonna train with you and he plans on being an Officer yadayada." I seriously think that he wanted to be an Officer because he thought he would just boss people around and not have to do anything. Didn't see him at the end of PT or ever again.

She made me sit in childs pose for the next 5 minutes. Fail.

At least it wasn't in a corner?

I don't have anything else to add quite yet - but if I topple over while doing squats or lunges tomorrow I'll be sure to post.

Unless you want to count getting dog kisses while doing push ups... turns out they don't help any. He's banned from the room tomorrow ^_^

Yeah, so yesterday my trainer decided it was like some kind of met-con day. 4x15 was the goal on deadlifts, incline presses, lat pull downs on the cable machine, and dumbbell curl/shoulder press supersets. Then he's like "I want you to do planks on this bosu and kick your knees out like it's a spiderman crawl." Holy cats.... so I put his water bottle lengthwise between my hands because I've found keeping my hands apart makes these even harder (what was I thinking?) and manage 13 raises on each knee in the first set- he wanted ten per leg so yay for me. Same thing for the second set but as I'm doing #12 on my right knee, my sweaty forearms slip off the bosu and I faceplant into the ball. It was genuine effort to pull myself off of that thing :D Needless to say, that was the last event of the session :)

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

I remember I was 16, first day in the gym...no effing clue what I was doing. Walked over to the bench, loaded up 45 pounds on each side, got underneath the bar, lowered it....and never raised it.

Fortunately i was stupid enough to not put the safety collars on, so i leaned the weight to the side until one plate fell off, at which point it was so out of balance the other weight went flying off.

BANG! BANG! I put the bar back on the rack, and sat up....to see EVERY SINGLE SET OF EYES in the gym giving me the "you're an idiot" look. Had to work out for the rest of my life in that gym with a bag on my head. Okay not really, but that was pretty demoralizing. Thank god I got over it and kept working out...who knows where I'd be right now. Certainly not in Australia.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I have to say one of my funniest moments actually came this past week. I was doing a sprint complex mixed in with bear crawls. Mark Sission recommended trying to "gather yourself and pounce" to add a jumping element to the movement. My girlfriend was filming me on my first attempt at the "gather and jump", and I have no idea what the hell it was. Haha. You can see the video here. (http://www.freefitguy.com/2011/03/24/sample-sprint-cycle-video/)

I note that it is the silliest I have ever looked while working out (except for a couple of times when I put waay to much weight on and hurt myself. But that isn't funny. Just stupid.)