Forums are back in action! ×

Using push-ups to maintain bench press numbers

For maintaining bench press weight numbers over the weekend with doing only push-ups. Is it enough to simply keep the same reps as long as my bench press lifting weight is less then or equal to my bodyweight?

For example: I weigh around 150lb to 155lb and am currently bench pressing a personal best of 70lb with a standard 45lb bar for combined total of 115lb (3x5x70lb) So to maintain that over the weekend all I need to do is that number of push-ups right? Then when my bench weight eventually exceeds what I actually weigh, the only thing to do is increase push-up reps correct?

This might seem obvious but I am tired and just want to make sure that it seems as logical to others as to me. Or if anyone has anything else to suggest that I do over the weekend when I don't want to take away that valuable home time for the gym.

hey joshua, when was the last time you did chest? are you doing it once a week? twice a week? let's say you do chest on thursday or friday - you can not do it over the weekend - as long as you're eating right you'll be rebuidling those muscles bigger and have you set up to lift more next week.

What are your overall goals? looking to get bigger? or just stronger.

And let's say you do need to do push ups over the weekend - are you able to do 3 sets of say 15 push ups no problem? if it's more than that, i'd recommend a variation on push ups (maybe elevated feet or wearing a back pack), but if you can't do 3x15, just do three sets for as many as you can.

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I do bench press work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. So as long as I eat well and maintain myself over the weekend I shouldn't have to really do much maintenance work then?

My goal is to get stronger first and as I improve my diet the body changes will happen naturally. I want to be able to bench press 300lb by the new year as real long term.

The benefit I found in pushups was as an off-week from bench press. If the weight was starting to stall in the bench press, I'd take a week or 10 days to do pushups that focused on perfect form to help with stabilizer muscles and range of motion. I'd vary wide grip, close grip, and incline.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

If you're really that worried about your Bench, try harder Push-Ups: Diamonds, Pike Push-Ups, balancing in a Handstand, Lever Push-Ups (which are basically Assisted One Arm Push-Ups) and One Arm Push-Ups. Also, Dips.

Although, I wouldn't be too worried about a weekend off.