Forums are back in action! ×

I'm so glad I found this site! I stumbled across it while looking for a fitness site that wasn't always trying to sell me something. It's such a nightmare, buy this piece of equipment, try this diet, work out at this time, argh!

So, a bit about me: My name is Mandie, I'm 34, and an administrative professional with a busy real estate/property management company. I'm 5'9" and somewhere in the 160-170 pound range with an hourglass body type. As I'm sure you can tell by my name, I love, love, LOVE Doctor Who, and I also enjoy reading, bicycling, hiking and writing the occasional short story.

Last fall, I decided that I wanted to get into better shape, and I began with these great little 10 minute workouts that I randomly found in some magazines that a co-worker left in our lunch room. Holy crap if I didn't start seeing positive results within a few weeks! Wanting to build on this, I began to walk home from work every night and tried some longer, more challenging work outs in the mornings. After a few months, I ran into someone I hadn't seen in about a year, and he said to me "Have you been hitting the gym? You look really good!" Talk about positive feedback, and that helped me to go even harder!

After about 7 months, I've lost 4 inches from my waist and my hips/butt, I sleep better, my chronic stomach issues have disappeared, and I have more energy and zest for life. I focus on body weight type excerises (love the beginner body weight routine that I found on this site!), mostly because I refuse to spend my hard-earned money on a piece of equipment that will probably just end up being an overpriced clothing rack! I've already learned a lot of awesome stuff about fitness and healthy living here at NF, and I'm super glad to have found such a supportive place that isn't focused on consumerism, or looking a certain way. It's sad how many people think that their life will start once they get to that perfect weight or can wear a certain size. Don't hide! Get out and live your life now, on your terms, who gives a crap what people say!

My long term goals are simple: be healthy and have fun! In the short term, I'd like to graduate from "cheater pushups" to actual pushups, and to be able do at least one pull up. Looking forward to connecting with some like-minded folks!

Allons-y!! :eagerness:

Archived