Forums are back in action! ×

Do I need to up my calories?...

ElizabethFG89

Hey, just been reading through the pages. I'm doing Paleo + dairy (love my cuppa teas toooo much!) and have started the beginners guide to strength training. I'm confused as I'm wanting to lose like half a stone but im wanting to gain muscle, especially in my arms and glutes. Now am I meant to increase my calorie intake to grow muscle....or just workout and eat healthy?? Any advice would be great. Just trying to sort out my routine :) Thankyou xx

Hey, just been reading through the pages. I'm doing Paleo + dairy (love my cuppa teas toooo much!) and have started the beginners guide to strength training. I'm confused as I'm wanting to lose like half a stone but im wanting to gain muscle, especially in my arms and glutes. Now am I meant to increase my calorie intake to grow muscle....or just workout and eat healthy?? Any advice would be great. Just trying to sort out my routine :) Thankyou xx

If you just started, I'd eat healthy but not worry about increasing or decreasing your calories to see what, if any, changes you get just from that. Then after a few weeks to a month see if you want to make any changes.

Lizb'etFG1-90,

If you have a very scanty diet like a lot of women have done then yes, up your calories. Also if you've been a habitual dieter and are accusomed to minimal caloric intake to maintain a certain look then sure up the calories but more important than caloric intake will be your meat and veggie intake. The normal rule is to eat your bodyweight in grams of protein each day. To build muscle eat meat. If you start to pack on some pudge along with the muscle adjust your diet, maybe kill some calories. 

I hope this helps! Cheers!

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Hahaha its not that scanty, not exactly munching lettuce but because I'm new to the paleo diet I was at first just eating basic meat, veg and fruit but I have been looking up recipes to up my calorie intake in general as I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight. I also want to ensure I'm eating enough to help with my strength training! No worries on the meat and veg front either...my fridge is packed with everything! Thanks for the advice :) xx

I've been on paleo + some dairy for a couple of months now, and I would say that so long as you aren't going hungry then you're eating enough. If I were you, I'd focus on losing the weight first while maintaining muscle mass with strength training. Then when your body fat percentage (or scale weight) is lower, start reintroducing some complex carbs such as sweet potatoes or brown rice to get the extra energy for extensive strength training. Up your protein intake at this point too.

LVL 1 Human Adventurer

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

Non res de potes aut non. Quidam age.

Battle Log Challenge 1

Archived