Forums are back in action! ×

Ex-Army, Still In Afghanistan Reporting For Duty!!

Howdy To the Rebellion!!

I've been a reader of Nerd Fitness since long before the first Rebel Guide was published, but never did anything about it. That changes today.

30 years old, recently separated from the US Army. After 5.75 years and 2 combat tours, I ended up with a spinal injury which made it really hard to do the required physical training. I've been mostly mended for a while, but the pounds accumulated and atrophy gained have been the enemy keeping me from getting back to fighting trim. No longer.

I'm a civilian contractor now working in Afghanistan, stationed currently at Bagram Air Base as a trainer and mechanic on the M-ATV line of Heavy Armored Vehicle. I love the work- it's physical and demanding as well as keeping my brainmeats engaged-- and I love training Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines. It's a great job, but it keeps me halfway across the world from my family.

My girlfriend Sweet Louise and I have joined the Rebellion together, both as a way to improve our physical health and as a way to stay present and connected and working together as a Team even though I'm half a world away.

I'm a hardcore history and gaming geek. I have played and GM'd every edition of D&D since 2nd Ed, and run 4E games both when I'm home and for our Servicemembers and Warfighters here in Afghanistan. I run a gaming blog called The Action Point-- hence the screen name.

Looking forward to Leveling up alongside everybody and especially my honey.

GOALS: Since my injury I have packed on close to 40 pounds of useless weight, which ironically complicates the back issues and makes it harder to work out. It definitely makes proper form something I'm going to have to pay VERY close attention to. All those pounds have to go. I'm 220ish now. I want to get to 180 lbs again. I havent seen that since Basic Training.

I used to be able to do pullups-- just a couple, but it was still doable. I want to be able to do 20 nonstop.

I want to get back the agility, flexibility and strength I had before my injury.

Even though I am not Active Duty Army anymore, I want to be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test at the maximum score of 300. I was never able to do that even when I was in uniform.

I want to be able to wear an A-line tshirt, jeans and boots and not be self-conscious or embarrassed. Actually, I just flat out want to not be embarrassed about my body anymore. Girls aren't the only ones with body image issues, that's for sure.

Get Strong One Day At A Time.
Level 2 Human Warrior (Multiclassing into Assassin)- STR 5, STA 2, CON 3.5, DEX 2, WIS 6 [on a good day...], CHA 5.5

Challenge 4/30/2012; +9 Points

Current Challenge: Captain America and Wolverine are Multiclass Warrior/Assassins
"It is easier to find men who are willing to die than those willing to endure pain with patience."-- Gaius Julius Caesar

Brittanis Dark Arthurian Adventure-- Come to Brittanis. Live the Legend. 

Hey, welcome! Joining with your girl is a fantastic idea! She seems like a sweety. ^_^ I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but go easy on your injury - rehurting yourself will not help your goals! Posture, posture, posture.

So... a history geek, eh? I'm a greek and roman fan, but it's all good, really. I'm facinated by the people who created history and warfare tactics, and love finding obscure and cool facts. Yeah, Hannibal might have crossed the alps with elephants, but shooting poisonous snake projectiles is just as cool... What do you like?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Heh. I was a Roman History major in my brief stint in College-- specializing in Late Republican and Roman Britain. When I go back to school here soon, it will likely be for at least a minor, if not Dual Major, in Classics. I think we're on the same page.

Also-- your work on the OMFG is totally amazing and inspiring. Thank you. I have a project in mind that could be really cool based off some of your work.

@Plex-- because I'm forced to eat what the Army provides here, meal planning is kind of out of the question. However, there is usually a decent selection of cafeteria-style stuff, so I'm going with a "If it's meat, beans, veggies or fruit, it's a go" philosophy. My demon has *always* been Portion Control, so the cafeteria style thing is really beneficial in that way. As far as anything even remotely approaching a Primal Diet, though-- not so much. When I get home, though-- yeah.

Get Strong One Day At A Time.
Level 2 Human Warrior (Multiclassing into Assassin)- STR 5, STA 2, CON 3.5, DEX 2, WIS 6 [on a good day...], CHA 5.5

Challenge 4/30/2012; +9 Points

Current Challenge: Captain America and Wolverine are Multiclass Warrior/Assassins
"It is easier to find men who are willing to die than those willing to endure pain with patience."-- Gaius Julius Caesar

Brittanis Dark Arthurian Adventure-- Come to Brittanis. Live the Legend. 

Oooh, nice. I've always wanted to take Classics. I'm curious to hear of your project! Our work continues, but much much slower. We kinda threw heart and soul into it for months, and both RL and workout goals suffered as a result. I shall finish it, though!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins