Forums are back in action! ×

Over the River and Through the Woods

Rastaban

I want to try trail running. I like hiking through the woods and I like running so I figure why not do both at once.

Any suggestions on shoes and other gear (carrying water, snacks)?

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

Me too me too!

That's what I'm training up for!

Great thread Rostaban.

I will probably work up to 2 miles tops. But I'll be doing intervals to train so I'll be running/walking about 30 mins each time.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

how long/far do you want to run?

this ^^^.  And what kind of trail?  some people mean "groomed, gravel", some mean "well, there's a path but it's not gravel" and some mean "trail?  I forge my own". 

If you've never done it, I would suggest starting on some kind of groomed trail.  Also, plan to go shorter/slower than you might normally run.  I find my 5K pavement pace doesn't cut it in the woods b/c I get slowed down on hills, rocks, stream crossings, etc.  But then again, I really worry about twisted ankles. 

As for shoes - what do you hike in or run in now?  Obviously, you won't start out running trails that would require heavy boots.  I trail run in old running sneaks.  You want some traction.  I want something that can get wet and not weigh 100#.  But footwear is a really personal choice.  I recently did a lot of hiking on minimally marked/groomed trails (there's a trail but little up keep) and I did it in minimalist sneaks.  Not sure I would run it in minimalist.  But again, that's my preference.

As for snacks, water, etc.  If you are starting out short, say 1-2 mi to experiment - you'll be okay w/out rations.  I just did a 10K trail run and managed just fine without water or food.  I ate a normal workout day breakfast (a little lighter) and made sure I was hydrated well the day before.  I mean I'm only out there for an hour so I'll be okay.  Then take into account, heat, sunshine, etc. all the stuff you would think about hiking.

Personally, I really enjoy hiking and have found trail running kind of fun. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm very curious where you go hiking... my BF says he likes to hike (who knew!) and sometimes I like to get him to go and b/c he's so supportive of my stuff- I try to go with him and support him hiking (I fucking HATE hiking to be honest) but I do it because that's reasonable to go and it's not like it would kill me to go outside and use different muscles LOL

But - would be nice to not have to go hours away to go hiking!  Although walking in Philly = walking in the mountains.  same amount of suck. 

how long/far do you want to run?

Total running about 2 to 3 miles but I know at least one of my hikes is 4 1/2 miles round trip. I don't know what my ability is not having tried this before.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

this ^^^.  And what kind of trail?  some people mean "groomed, gravel", some mean "well, there's a path but it's not gravel" and some mean "trail?  I forge my own". 

If you've never done it, I would suggest starting on some kind of groomed trail.  Also, plan to go shorter/slower than you might normally run.  I find my 5K pavement pace doesn't cut it in the woods b/c I get slowed down on hills, rocks, stream crossings, etc.  But then again, I really worry about twisted ankles. 

As for shoes - what do you hike in or run in now?  Obviously, you won't start out running trails that would require heavy boots.  I trail run in old running sneaks.  You want some traction.  I want something that can get wet and not weigh 100#.  But footwear is a really personal choice.  I recently did a lot of hiking on minimally marked/groomed trails (there's a trail but little up keep) and I did it in minimalist sneaks.  Not sure I would run it in minimalist.  But again, that's my preference.

As for snacks, water, etc.  If you are starting out short, say 1-2 mi to experiment - you'll be okay w/out rations.  I just did a 10K trail run and managed just fine without water or food.  I ate a normal workout day breakfast (a little lighter) and made sure I was hydrated well the day before.  I mean I'm only out there for an hour so I'll be okay.  Then take into account, heat, sunshine, etc. all the stuff you would think about hiking.

Personally, I really enjoy hiking and have found trail running kind of fun. 

Yeah there is a trail though not paved, it's pretty sturdy. Right now I hike in boots (waterproof, but heavy) and run in regular running shoes.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

Depending on if there's wild animals in the area, carry bear spray. I grew up in bear country, so I'm used to having spray with me whenever I'm hiking. Since you're going to be running, I'd say try to find one that has a light canister that won't bump into your legs as you run.

Level 1 Gnoll.  Druid at heart, training with the Scouts

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 2

Good? Evil? Let's just say I'm chaotic stupid 

Interesting responses.

Okay, for now, try your running sneaks. Try your trail, but go slow. Look ahead when you run (not at trees or bears lol) but look ahead at trail. You will not run your 5k pavement pace. Be okay w that. That being said, you'll truck along faster than you think.

If properly hydrated the day before, I can't imagine needing water or food for such a short run.

Do you have bears? If so, know how to use bear spray. Seriously, practice. Bears don't care what your pace is, also, bolstering be spray makes it a bit late to use. Which means you have to effing carry it = major suck. If you do, change hands regularly and know how to use it both ways.

What else? Do eet! Is big fun!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm very curious where you go hiking... my BF says he likes to hike (who knew!) and sometimes I like to get him to go and b/c he's so supportive of my stuff- I try to go with him and support him hiking (I fucking HATE hiking to be honest) but I do it because that's reasonable to go and it's not like it would kill me to go outside and use different muscles LOL

But - would be nice to not have to go hours away to go hiking!  Although walking in Philly = walking in the mountains.  same amount of suck.

In NJ Delaware water gap/ the AT = major awesome. In PA, Wissahickon (also awesome trail running). In DE, the Brandywine, but that's really tame. AT is where it's at. Both sides are good.

I just hiked in Joshua Tree national park and on the Channel Islands.

I AM going the distance

Glad you got to go hike in new places-  JT is nice.  I lived in california- so I am not overly impressed with it... maybe I was spoiled LOL.  It is pretty- but god where I lived it was hot sticky and dusty- much rather ride my horse through there. But god the sunsets were awesome.   :)  Not sure what the Channel Islands were.  I was horse riding the mountains and things- so lots of pacific crest trail in the mojave desert. 

Okay- maybe we'll go to the water gap- I like driving through there- it's really pretty.  We went all the way up to Ricket's Glen (which is up toward Berwick- just before Scranton) I actually DID have fun- but it was waterfalls and stuff hiking- not just dirt and bugs and crap.  barf.  

Maybe we'll plan a trip up there. :)

sunfish pond in DWG/AT is a typical day hike.  There are some awesome trails full of scree too.

I AM going the distance

YAY- good- we'll have to go.  It's hard b/c our weekends do not over lap... like- at all.  But at some point- I need to take a day off mid week or he does- and I'd like to do something HE wants to do if he has to take the day off!  and a day hike is good.  I'm good for about 4 hours and then I get crabby and hungry.

Interesting responses.

Okay, for now, try your running sneaks. Try your trail, but go slow. Look ahead when you run (not at trees or bears lol) but look ahead at trail. You will not run your 5k pavement pace. Be okay w that. That being said, you'll truck along faster than you think.

If properly hydrated the day before, I can't imagine needing water or food for such a short run.

Do you have bears? If so, know how to use bear spray. Seriously, practice. Bears don't care what your pace is, also, bolstering be spray makes it a bit late to use. Which means you have to effing carry it = major suck. If you do, change hands regularly and know how to use it both ways.

What else? Do eet! Is big fun!!!!

I'll do this. Fortunately bears are not an issue, or atleast they're a rarity.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

j.r.r. tolkien

Archived