Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy from Northern California!

I'm 49 years old and should just plain know better by now. I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I have a boring, sedentary, white-collar, cube-dwellin', monitor-starin' job by day -- by night I play the upright bass and sing in a couple of bluegrass bands and a traditional western music band (think Sons of the Pioneers). On the weekends I'm fulfilling my western dreams by learning to ride a lively little cow horse and move cattle. I love old school Sci Fi, Star Trek, Asimov and feel like a stray lonely little geeky calf among my buddies. So glad I found you all!

Challenges and Stuff:

Lately I've been way out of breath by the third set and am having trouble hitting the high notes. Getting the bass in and out of the car is getting harder. I'm having trouble swinging the saddle up over my little quarter horse pal. Also, I get in the arena with a bunch of cows and start hearing that hated whispering voice in my head when I try to put on some speed: "You're going to die, you're going to die." Very distracting.

Goals and Stuff:

I want to be strong and healthy. I want to be able to do a REAL push-up and a REAL pull-up - maybe a bunch of 'em. I want to be able to run a 10K. I want to look good in that little black number on stage. I want to be able to slap that bass like it owes me money. And I want to learn to ride fearlessly at a hard gallop, doing the 180 degree turns with my butt GLUED to that saddle.

I'm looking forward to leveling things up all over the darn place!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Howdy Seabright, and welcome to the Rebellion!

Horse back riding is very cool! How often do you get to do it? Is it just for rustlin' cattle or do you actually event? dressage? show jump? Because I have heard tell that eventing is a workout in and of itself. (Think beefy legs)

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

Hi Plex! I'm working on reined cow horse events, and you are so right about needing strong legs. They say 15 minutes at a posting trot is the same thing as running a mile. Back in the day, I used to teach Tai Chi and Choy Li Fut kung fu, and I had legs like iron. Now, legs like wet noodles, and man, I feel it when I'm out of the stirrups!

sumdawgtwigg, don't get me started on Star Trek. My brothers and I will go on for hours with the bad lines from the original. " 'Freedom?' That is a worship word. You will not speak it!"

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Hi Clawed_Bear,

Huge huge fan. So relevant that it is crazy. In fact, I just found myself talking about the series the other day. I was having a discussion with my uncle about global events -- he had worked on a model to show that certain global changes were inevitable and that everything will fall apart by, like, 2027, no matter what elements of the model were changed. I told him Asimov had already beat him to it. And then we had another glass of wine.

Human Adventurer

by night I play the upright bass and sing in a couple of bluegrass bands and a traditional western music band (think Sons of the Pioneers).

awesome.

love upright bass, wish i had room for one in my apartment.

welcome!

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

sumdawgtwigg, don't get me started on Star Trek. My brothers and I will go on for hours with the bad lines from the original. " 'Freedom?' That is a worship word. You will not speak it!"

My personal favorite "I'm captain kirk...I'm captain kirk...I'M CAPPPTAINNN KIRKKK". Some of Shatners finest acting there lol.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

My personal favorite "I'm captain kirk...I'm captain kirk...I'M CAPPPTAINNN KIRKKK". Some of Shatners finest acting there lol.

My fav: "Oh, Jim Kirk. I will think of you when I look up to the sky....and remember."

Human Adventurer

Whats your favorite star trek series? Just went through Next Gen and Deep Space 9 with my boyfriend, both awesome. I'm torn between Data and Garrek as my favorite character.

Also, I just started tai chi! I'm learning the 108 pose Taoist Tai Chi method. I know the first 10 or so, the rest I fake, but it's a lot of fun! Do you still do it?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins